* Re: fvisibility-inlines-hidden
@ 2006-02-03 16:22 Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2006-02-03 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hhinnant; +Cc: gcc

> Is there a document, or a discussion that someone can point me to which
> explains why fvisibility-inlines-hidden applies to member functions,
> but not non-member functions?

AFAICT, there is very little documentation for any of the visibility
stuff. There is a web page referenced as "documentation", the pointer
to which you can find in the GCC-4.0.0 release notes.

There's been a lot of discussion in bugzilla about these features, but
little else.

-benjamin

* Re: fvisibility-inlines-hidden
@ 2006-02-03 17:28 ` Howard Hinnant
From: Howard Hinnant @ 2006-02-03 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Feb 3, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

>> Is there a document, or a discussion that someone can point me to
>> which
>> explains why fvisibility-inlines-hidden applies to member functions,
>> but not non-member functions?
>
> AFAICT, there is very little documentation for any of the visibility
> stuff. There is a web page referenced as "documentation", the pointer
> to which you can find in the GCC-4.0.0 release notes.
>
> There's been a lot of discussion in bugzilla about these features, but
> little else.
>
> -benjamin

Thanks Benjamin.  These are the docs I can find:

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C_002b_002b-Dialect-
Options.html#C_002b_002b-Dialect-Options

The two are contradictory towards the treatment of non-member inline
functions.  I believe the first document is the one that correctly
describes today's behavior.

I'm unable to find a bugzilla conversation which addresses this subject.

Let me rephrase:  It seems to me that fvisibility-inlines-hidden
should apply to all inline functions (both member and non-member).
Does anyone have an argument for why it should not be this way?

-Howard

* Re: fvisibility-inlines-hidden
@ 2006-02-07 20:20   ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2006-02-07 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Howard Hinnant; +Cc: gcc

Howard Hinnant wrote:

> Let me rephrase:  It seems to me that fvisibility-inlines-hidden  should
> apply to all inline functions (both member and non-member).   Does
> anyone have an argument for why it should not be this way?

I certainly do not.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery

* fvisibility-inlines-hidden
@ 2006-02-03 15:15 Howard Hinnant
From: Howard Hinnant @ 2006-02-03 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

Is there a document, or a discussion that someone can point me to
which explains why fvisibility-inlines-hidden applies to member
functions, but not non-member functions?

Thanks,
Howard