* Ada
@ 2002-10-04 14:57 Bobby McNulty Junior
From: Bobby McNulty Junior @ 2002-10-04 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

How is Ada supposed to be built?
I don't have Gnat(s) in my system.
Robert

* Re: Ada
@ 2002-10-04 16:50 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2002-10-04 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bobby McNulty Junior; +Cc: gcc

On Oct  4, 2002, "Bobby McNulty Junior" <bmj2001@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> How is Ada supposed to be built?
> I don't have Gnat(s) in my system.

You need GNAT to build GNAT, just like you need a C compiler to build
gcc.  There are several binary version of GNAT that you can download
from several sites that you can use to bootstrap.

* RE: Ada
@ 2002-10-04 16:53   ` Bobby McNulty Junior
From: Bobby McNulty Junior @ 2002-10-04 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc

Thanks. I'll get that, then

@ 2006-05-08 20:28 ` Laurent GUERBY
From: Laurent GUERBY @ 2006-05-08 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 14:49 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     I tried that RPM for gnat 3.15 and it wants binutils 2.9 and well I
> built a binary version of binutils 2.16 with a 3.4.6 compiler. So RPM
> doesn't know binutils is installed. So what I need to do is force RPM to
> install this .rpm by overriding it's checking for dependancies. Would anyone
> happen to know what switches to use? The man I have on my RPM is pretty
> cryptic. I know this is a little OT.

The option is --force, but there is some risk.

Red Hat 7.x is really old at this point, I'm not sure you'll
succeed in completing the process Ada-wise.

Laurent

* ada
@ 2006-05-08 18:54 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2006-05-08 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

    I tried that RPM for gnat 3.15 and it wants binutils 2.9 and well I
built a binary version of binutils 2.16 with a 3.4.6 compiler. So RPM
doesn't know binutils is installed. So what I need to do is force RPM to
install this .rpm by overriding it's checking for dependancies. Would anyone
happen to know what switches to use? The man I have on my RPM is pretty
cryptic. I know this is a little OT.

Bill

* Re: Ada
@ 2006-05-08 10:57 ` Laurent GUERBY
From: Laurent GUERBY @ 2006-05-08 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc

Hi Bill,

You need to have a previous version of GCC with Ada enabled
to be able to compile Ada since the Ada front-end is written in Ada.

It is likely that your configure log has a failure for the following
checks:

checking for gnatbind... gnatbind
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada... yes

If you're running Linux, your distribution most probably
has a separate package for the Ada part of the GCC compiler,
you have to install it first.

On SUSE 9.3 the packages are named:

gnat-runtime-3.3.5-5
gnat-3.3.5-5

On Ubuntu they are named:

gnat-4.0
libgnat-4.0

Hope this helps,

Laurent

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 11:18 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     Are there any special switches or options needed to compile the ada
> package with the core gcc? I add the C++ libraries and they compile right
> along with the core. I've tried --enable-languages=c,c++,ada too and that
> doesn't do the ada libraries.
>
> Bill

* Ada
@ 2006-05-02 15:19 Bill Cunningham