* Can't get GCC installed. HELP!  (RPM related)
       [not found] <1044088268.24721.ezmlm@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2003-02-01  8:37 ` Sherzod Ruzmetov
From: Sherzod Ruzmetov @ 2003-02-01  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi folks.

I hadn't encountered a *nix box without a compiler untill an unfortunate
yesterday!
And today, having trouble installing a gcc with using RPM packages. While
installing
dependencies, the following error is spit out:

<screen>
[root@infocube tmp]# rpm -i glibc-common-2.2.93-5.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        glibc < 2.2.93 conflicts with glibc-common-2.2.93-5
</screen>

I have no clue what it might mean.

Thanks

Sherzod

* Re: Can't get GCC installed. HELP!  (RPM related)
@ 2003-02-01 11:33   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2003-02-01 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sherzod Ruzmetov; +Cc: gcc

On Feb  1, 2003, "Sherzod Ruzmetov" <sherzodr@handalak.com> wrote:

> [root@infocube tmp]# rpm -i glibc-common-2.2.93-5.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         glibc < 2.2.93 conflicts with glibc-common-2.2.93-5
> </screen>

> I have no clue what it might mean.

Clue 1: glibc and gcc are separate projects, so this e-mail is
totally inappropriate here.

Clue 2: if you update glibc-common, you must update glibc too, in a
single RPM transaction.  But you shouldn't have to update glibc just
to install GCC.  If you think you need, you're probably just picking a
GCC version that was not built for the environment on which you're
trying to install it.

* RE: Can't get GCC installed. HELP!  (RPM related)
@ 2003-02-01 12:50     ` Sherzod Ruzmetov
From: Sherzod Ruzmetov @ 2003-02-01 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc

    :
    : > I have no clue what it might mean.
    :
    : Clue 1: glibc and gcc are separate projects, so this e-mail is
    : totally inappropriate here.

You see, what happend was, I tried to install gcc, and it gave me the
list of dependancies. I kept following dependencies (bunch of them)
and got stuck when I reached the above glibc-common.

So was thinking if anyone could pull me out of the trap.

Thanks though

Sherzod