From: "Ken Whaley" <ken@believe.com>
To: "Toon Moene" <toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl>
Cc: "Sergey Ostrovsky" <sostrovs@kns.com>,
	"H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>, <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: RE: Compiler for Red Hat Linux 8
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:59:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Sigh, that just started happening, I will have to figure that
out (and will write this reply without the use of contractions :).
And this operation system of alleged choice has no place in my
workflow other than hosting where I write and read mail from and
where my xterms that are running on linux display (and was not
a matter of choice based on how IT sets up our workstations).

Do you think the drawbacks and disadvantages of other $y$tem$ should
serve as the standard for what the GNU toolchain should try
to achieve?  All I said, and Sergey by implication, is that
from the perspective of a user, it is *hard* to cobble together a
set of decently up-to-date tools that all work together, and
basically impossible if you add the requirement of only using
officially released FSF versions.  Whether or not this is also the case
on other systems I would hope has no bearing on the goals
of the GNU folks, but just that it is, and I quote (without
quotes), The Right Thing To Do.

Ken

p.s. I said it initially and will say it again, that I enjoy
the fruits of the FSF/GNU teams labors, appreciate their work,
and contribute back such fixes/enhancements as I can.
I recognize the difficulty of synchronizing what in effect are
3 separate projects, but the whole point of this thread is
the asking and aswering of the question: Why Not Use Only
Released Versions?, and making the point that actually achieving
such synchronization would be a Good Thing.