* Re: Taking too long
@ 2001-06-19  6:45 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-06-19  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bmj2001, neil; +Cc: gcc

>>It's way faster on my 800MHz Duron, at least 3 times...

Even this is a slow machine by today's standards.

* RE: Taking too long
@ 2001-06-19 13:29 ` Robert Mcnulty junior
From: Robert Mcnulty junior @ 2001-06-19 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, neil; +Cc: gcc

It's faster to compile under Linux, any way.
Before, when it was just using the branch to compile, last week, under
linux, on a Pentium running at 166 MHZ (I really do have to upgrade my
computer. Its over 5 years old),
Linux Mandrake 7.2, took 1 1/2 hours to compile. Using standard compiler
that come with it.

@ 2001-06-19  9:15   ` Robert Mcnulty junior
From: Robert Mcnulty junior @ 2001-06-19  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: Gcc@Gcc.Gnu.Org

In other other other, Use my Linux, huh?

From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-06-18 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Mcnulty junior; +Cc: Gcc@Gcc.Gnu.Org

@ 2001-06-18 23:02 ` Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2001-06-18 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Mcnulty junior; +Cc: Gcc@Gcc.Gnu.Org

Robert Mcnulty junior wrote:-

> This is taking too long on Windows 98.
> Is there any way of cutting the time in half to compile?
> I have been at this for two-three hours, and its still on stage 2 building
> the c++ compiler

Upgrade to a dual Athlon? :-) Oh, wait, Win98 doesn't support dual
processing...

It does take that long.  You don't say what processor you have, but on
a 350MHz K62, a bootstrap takes a long time for me - roughly 2.5 hrs
to finish the bootstrap, then another 2 to 3 hours for the testsuites.
Java helped a lot in adding time to this :-) I hope Ada doesn't make
it worse again.

It's way faster on my 800MHz Duron, at least 3 times...

Neil.

* Taking too long
@ 2001-06-18 16:32 Robert Mcnulty junior