* [RFC] Removing -fpack-struct in C++ for 4.0
@ 2004-10-07 11:46 Giovanni Bajo
From: Giovanni Bajo @ 2004-10-07 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

following up to: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-02/msg01116.html, I'm going to
post a patch which removes -fpack-struct from the C++ frontend on mainline, and
a patch to add a deprecation warning to 3.4.3.

I do not think we need a full major version of deprecation time because the
option is totally incompatible with any library, eg., v3, as it totally breaks
the ABI and v3 itself is not built with this option. Thus, I doubt this option
is much used in C++ code. Moreover, the workaround for people doing
freestanding C++ is just to use pragma pack everywhere (at the top of a
project-wide header, for instance).

I would like to hear comments on this before I start working on the actual
patch.

Thanks,
Giovanni Bajo