* Re: Canadian cross on cygwin
@ 2004-08-26  9:58 Tal Agmon
From: Tal Agmon @ 2004-08-26  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James E Wilson; +Cc: gcc

Jim Wilson wrote:
>Tal Agmon wrote:
>> I'm trying to compile on cygwin using a mingw32-gcc.exe compiler. What should
>> specify in
>> --build and --host?
>
>Just specify --target.  config.guess will default built and host
>appropriately.  You only need to specify host/build if you want to do a
>"canadian" cross where the host and build are different.

Isn't compiling a compiler that is going to generate crx executable, will run
on windows and built on cygwin is a canadian cross?

I know I need to specify --target=crx-elf and I guess --build=i686-pc-cygwin
but I don't know which host to specify.
I tried many options in the form *-*windows or *-*-mingw32 but no option seem
to work.

Regards,
      Tal Agmon

Software Engineer                                   phone: +49-8141-35-1396
CompactRISC Development Tools  fax:                 +49-8141-35-11-1396
National Semiconductor GmbH                         mailto:Tal.Agmon@nsc.com
Livry-Gargan Str. 10                                internet:
http://www.national.com
82256 Fuerstenfeldbruck, Germany

                      "James E Wilson"
                      <wilson@specifixi        To:       "Tal Agmon" <Tal.Agmon@nsc.com>
                      nc.com>                  cc:       gcc@gcc.gnu.org
                                               Subject:  Re: Canadian cross on cygwin
                      08/26/04 02:47 AM

@ 2004-08-31  1:06 ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2004-08-31  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tal Agmon; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 01:12, Tal Agmon wrote:
> Isn't compiling a compiler that is going to generate crx executable, will run
> on windows and built on cygwin is a canadian cross?

cygwin does run on windows, so it isn't clear what you mean here.

The easy solution here is that you build a --target=crx-elf compiler.
This will give you a cygwin cross compiler to crx-elf.  Anyone with
cygwin can run it, and perhaps all they need is the cygwin dll, though
it doesn't hurt to give them an entire cygwin environment.

If you won't want to use the cygwin dll, then one wonders why you are
using cygwin at all.  Using mingw32 to build a --target=crx-elf
compiler, and you will get a mingw32 cross compiler to crx-elf.
Assuming that mingw32 can build gcc.  I don't have any experience with
mingw32, so I don't know what its capabilities are.

Trying to build a canadian cross cygwin build/mingw32 host/crx-elf
target is probably a lot of unnecessary complexity.  Building canadian
crosses takes a lot of time and effort to get right.  Don't waste your
time doing it if you really don't need to.

Configuring for a windows host makes no sense.  If gcc could be built
natively, then we wouldn't need cygwin or mingw32 in the first place.

If you need help dealing with cygwin/mingw32 issues, then you are
probably better off asking on a cygwin or mingw32 mailing list.  We can
only help you with gcc issues.

* [OT] RE: Canadian cross on cygwin
@ 2004-09-01 13:43   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-09-01 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 01:12, Tal Agmon wrote:
> > Isn't compiling a compiler that is going to generate crx
> executable, will run
> > on windows and built on cygwin is a canadian cross?
>
> cygwin does run on windows, so it isn't clear what you mean here.

  Tal, I am going to interpret it as meaning you want it to be mingw-hosted,
i.e. not to require the cygwin dll in end use.  So stop me if I've got it
wrong.

> The easy solution here is that you build a --target=crx-elf compiler.
> This will give you a cygwin cross compiler to crx-elf.  Anyone with
> cygwin can run it, and perhaps all they need is the cygwin dll, though
> it doesn't hurt to give them an entire cygwin environment.
>
> If you won't want to use the cygwin dll, then one wonders why you are
> using cygwin at all.  Using mingw32 to build a --target=crx-elf
> compiler, and you will get a mingw32 cross compiler to crx-elf.
> Assuming that mingw32 can build gcc.  I don't have any experience with
> mingw32, so I don't know what its capabilities are.

  Although mingw/msys works well enough, the cygwin environment is a good
deal nicer to work in, as it provides a fully posix fs and environment,
rather than trying to squeeze *nix-y software into dealing with
windoze-style file paths.  But it is an emulation layer, which makes it
slower; you might well want to use it as a dev environment but have your
production compiler mingw hosted for native win32 speed[*].

> Trying to build a canadian cross cygwin build/mingw32 host/crx-elf
> target is probably a lot of unnecessary complexity.  Building canadian
> crosses takes a lot of time and effort to get right.  Don't waste your
> time doing it if you really don't need to.

  I don't think a canadian cross is necessary, in fact.  The cygwin gcc is
both a native (cygwin-targetted) and cross (mingw-targetted) compiler.
Adding "-mno-cygwin" to the CFLAGS (and any similar linker flags etc.) and
configuring simply with "--target=crx-elf" should produce a mingw-hosted
gcc.  With a bit of luck and a tailwind.

    cheers,
      DaveK
[*]  Hey!  I never thought I'd use the words "win32" and "speed" in the same
sentence :-O