* Re: Installation of GCC
@ 2001-01-18 17:15 Celia_Choo
From: Celia_Choo @ 2001-01-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince; +Cc: gcc

Hi Tim Prince,

I found this website for installing the emacs for windows 95 or NT.
http://www.cs.utah.edu/classes/cs1000/emacs.html but I'm using Windows
98.Pls advise me.

Where should I store my hello.c program?I'm confused about "You would
normally have your source and executables for work in progress for a small
project all in the same subdirectory until you see the need for something
fancier".

Example: To compile a file called hello.c, do
gcc -Wall -g hello.c -o hello -lm

Error msg : No such file or directory exists.

Hope to hear from you soon!

With Thanx,
Celia

                    "Tim Prince"
                    <tprince@comp        To:     <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>,
                    uter.org>            <Celia_Choo@AMKH.com.sg>
                                         cc:
                    18/01/2001           Subject:     Re: Installation of GCC
                    10:45 PM

You should use whichever editing environment you are comfortable with.
Any pure text editor intending for working on source code will do fine.
I continue to use PFE as well as vim.  If you know emacs, you probably
want that.

From: kelley.r.cook @ 2002-05-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Ogwuagwu; +Cc: gcc

>Dear Sir
>
>Please I have downloaded the full version GCC-3.0.4
>from one of your ftp sites. I have also unpacked it to
>its directory. My problem now is installation. Please
>I would like you to give me the commands for
>installation right from Configuration to final
>installation because I have tried the steps given in
>the accompanying installation manual but it didn't
>work. I am using Windows 98. Please Sir I need your
>assistance.
>
>Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
>Ogwuagwu O. Vincent.

Your problem is that you are using Windows 98 which does not come with
either
the POSIX compatible shell capable of configuring GCC nor an initial C
compiler
required to build GCC.

Luckily, someone has already done most of the work for you.  Go to either
http://www.cygwin.com which supplies a Posix glue layer, the Bash shell and
binaries for many Unix-like tools including GCC 2.95.3 or to
http://www.mingw.org which just is a copy of GCC 2.95.3 and its required
binutils (assembler, linker, etc.) that runs under command.com/cmd.exe.

FWIW, GCC Version 3.1 will be released shortly and soon after its release
GCC
will be available for both systems mentioned.

Your second problem is running Windows 98.  You will soon discover that GCC
in
either its Cygwin or Mingw flavors severely taxes the DOS-based clever
hacks of
an operating system known as Windows 95, 98 and Me to the point of
unuseability.
The compilers work far better under Windows NT, 2000, or XP and I would
suggest
that you upgrade to one of them.

* Re: Installation of GCC
@ 2002-05-02 11:35 tprince
From: tprince @ 2002-05-02 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Ogwuagwu, gcc

> Dear Sir
>
> Please I have downloaded the full version GCC-3.0.4
> from one of your ftp sites. I have also unpacked it to
> its directory. My problem now is installation. Please
> I would like you to give me the commands for
> installation right from Configuration to final
> installation because I have tried the steps given in
> the accompanying installation manual but it didn't
> work. I am using Windows 98. Please Sir I need your
> assistance.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Ogwuagwu O. Vincent.
You must start with the instructions for installing cygwin or mingw32 which are
linked to the gcc home pages, then read the instructions for building and
installing gcc, and refer also to the configure parameters which have been
shown successful on
gcc-testsuite.

* Installation of GCC
@ 2002-05-02 10:35 Vincent Ogwuagwu
From: Vincent Ogwuagwu @ 2002-05-02 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear Sir

Please I have downloaded the full version GCC-3.0.4
from one of your ftp sites. I have also unpacked it to
its directory. My problem now is installation. Please
I would like you to give me the comamnds for
installation right from Configuration to finall
installation because I hvae tried the steps given in
the accompnaying installation manual but it didn't
work. I am using Windows 98. Please Sir I need your
assistance.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ogwuagwu O. Vincent.

http://health.yahoo.com

* Installation of GCC
@ 2002-05-02 10:29 Vincent Ogwuagwu
From: Vincent Ogwuagwu @ 2002-05-02 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2001-01-18  6:43 ` Tim Prince

> I need ur help.I've download gcc (GNU C compiler) for windows from
this
> website : http://www.cs.utah.edu/classes/cs1000/gcc/ .
>
> I'm a beginner to C programming.Can you advise me what I should do
next?I
> need to write C-program before I can use GNU C Complier to complie my
> program?Which environment can I write my program and which directory
should
> I store my program(eg.hello.c)?
>
> Pls Advise
>
> Regards,
> Celia

* Installation of GCC
@ 2001-01-18  1:40 Celia_Choo
From: Celia_Choo @ 2001-01-18  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2000-08-06 11:27 ` Christian Jönsson
From: Christian Jönsson @ 2000-08-06 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manan Vishal; +Cc: gcc

I would suggest you visit http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html and
from
there you see that http://www.sunfreeware.com/ has a choice of arch and
OS.

Cheers,

/ChJ

Manan Vishal wrote:

> Could anybody let me know that on solaris if I do not have a compiler
> installed already how can I install gcc. Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Vishal manan

>    ("`-''-/").____. .--''"`-.
>     `6_6   )    '-.   (     ).`-.__.`)
>     (_Y_.)'  ._     )  `._`. ``-..-'      vmanan@cs.clemson.edu
>
>      VISHAL MANAN                                 G19 Jordan Hall,
>      813 COLLEGE AVENUE ,APT.# 2                  Dept. of ComputerScience,
>      CLEMSON , SC 29631                           Clemson University,
>      PH # (RES) 864-653 8161                      PH # (OFFICE) 864-6562844
>
>   -- An optimist laughs to forget , a pessimist forgets to laugh
>                                            -Anonymous

* Installation of GCC
@ 2000-08-06 10:06 Manan Vishal