From: Joel Sherrill <joel@OARcorp.com>
To: Mike Stump <mrs@wrs.com>
Cc: egcs@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: m68k structure packing
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 12:39:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Mike Stump wrote:

> I don't think we should force authors of code to prove to kenner that
> a change is good enough for the FSF's compiler, and then force them to
> go through the pain again to get it into the egcs compiler.  I think
> we risk faster divergence that way, and keeping them converged is
> better.  I thought that kenner would be generally be harder to deal
> with, and while I may still generally think that is true, it wasn't in
> this case.

Maybe it seemed harsh from your standpoint but fom the outside looking in,
it just looked like there was concern over correctness.   I think the
whole discussion on the list has taken place in less than 48 hours.  That
is really pretty quick to have been over as may technical points as you
guys have bounced back and forth.

Just my .02 worth.

--joel