* UNIX resource compiler???
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Nikolas Kauer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nikolas Kauer @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Do you know of somebody who has written something like a
resource compiler for Unix executables (NOT Win32 or Mac)?
I would like to include about 100 text files with data as
an object file in my Unix (Linux, OSF, etc.) executable/library
and somehow "open" those compiled files for read in my main
program.  This would be a mile stone for the specific application
in high energy physics I'm working on, but I could imagine this
could be very useful in many other situations.

This appears to be a common technique for Windows based applications,
however, I couldn't find such a resource compiler for Unix executables
(there is probably no defined interface for Unix).  Unfortunately, I
lack the knowledge to design a simple interface for Unix.  Hints to
resources where I could learn more about the structure of Unix executables
would also be greatly appreciated.  Maybe there is a simpler method to
bind resources to executables in Unix that I'm not aware of.

If you know something. please let me know.

Nikolas Kauer

PS I'm not on the mailing list.