* Web search only matches the subject???
@ 2002-07-30  9:00 Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2002-07-30  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

When I search in the gcc-patches mailing list yesterday, it matched only
the subject, not the contents.  Only matching the subjects is somewhat pointless,
as I can just search in the web page itself if I want to do that.
--
--------------------------
SuperH

* Re: Web search only matches the subject???
@ 2002-07-31 19:14 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2002-07-31 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joern Rennecke; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, gcc

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> When I search in the gcc-patches mailing list yesterday, it matched only
> the subject, not the contents.  Only matching the subjects is somewhat pointless,
> as I can just search in the web page itself if I want to do that.

Please give example (with preprocessed... ..uh, never mind :-)
so I can analyze usefully.  Searching for "regression" in the
box at ml/gcc-patches/ turns up matches on the first page where
that word is not in the body but not in the subject.

brgds, H-P

* Re: Web search only matches the subject???
@ 2002-08-02 16:13   ` Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2002-08-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Peter Nilsson; +Cc: Joern Rennecke, Gerald Pfeifer, gcc

> Please give example (with preprocessed... ..uh, never mind :-)
> so I can analyze usefully.  Searching for "regression" in the
> box at ml/gcc-patches/ turns up matches on the first page where
> that word is not in the body but not in the subject.

I've been searching for LOOP_CONT.

Hmmm, looking at this a bit closer, it looks that single words are matched
either literally or with some other word that is mostly unrelated except
etymologically, but never as a substring, although sequences of words
are matched against word anagrams or even loosely scattered words.

Could we have a way to have regexp search, at least for the current month?
While it is possible to search back periods by downloading the entire
months archives and searching there, this option is unfortunately not open
for the  current month.

* Re: Web search only matches the subject???
@ 2002-08-03  5:55     ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2002-08-03  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joern Rennecke; +Cc: Joern Rennecke, Gerald Pfeifer, gcc

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Joern Rennecke wrote:
> I've been searching for LOOP_CONT.
>
> Hmmm, looking at this a bit closer, it looks that single words are matched
> either literally or with some other word that is mostly unrelated except
> etymologically, but never as a substring, although sequences of words
> are matched against word anagrams or even loosely scattered words.
>
> Could we have a way to have regexp search, at least for the current month?

No, regexp and substring search isn't there.  (Hmm, I think I
can config to get substring match from LOOP_CONT*; I'll check.)

Anyway, use <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/search.html>; it doesn't
have substring search, but it doesn't by default mess up the
search terms by matching fuzzy endings.

I'll make the monthly indexes exact by-default soonish.

brgds, H-P