* Website in XHTML
@ 2002-09-17 12:59 Udo Steinbach
From: Udo Steinbach @ 2002-09-17 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html has the XHTML 1.0 logo on it. But after a click on it the validator shows many errors.

bye
   Udo

Die fahrradfreundliche Stadt Oldenburg: http://radwege.udoline.de/
PGP: A245 F153 0636 6E34 E2F3  E1EB 817A B14D 3E7E 482E

* Re: Website in XHTML
@ 2002-09-17 13:30 ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2002-09-17 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Udo Steinbach; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 08:04:11PM +0200, Udo Steinbach wrote:
> Hi
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html has the XHTML 1.0 logo on it. But after a click on it the validator shows many errors.
>
> bye
>    Udo

Thanks for pointing that out so we can fix it.

This file is generated from gcc/doc/install.texi, and the problems are
in the generated XHTML commands.  For those of you who understand what
those tools are doing and what might be going wrong, or if the wrong
version of the tools is being used, here are some of the problems with
the generated html file:

  - end tag for "meta" omitted, or tag not ended with "/>"

  - some attribute values in meta tags are not quoted

  - no </p> and </li> tags are generated

  - an <hr> tag should be <hr />

Janis

* Re: Website in XHTML
@ 2002-09-19 23:44   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2002-09-19 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janis Johnson; +Cc: Udo Steinbach, gcc

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Janis Johnson wrote:
> Thanks for pointing that out so we can fix it.
>
> This file is generated from gcc/doc/install.texi, and the problems are
> in the generated XHTML commands.  For those of you who understand what
> those tools are doing and what might be going wrong, or if the wrong
> version of the tools is being used, here are some of the problems with
> the generated html file:
>
>   - end tag for "meta" omitted, or tag not ended with "/>"
>
>   - some attribute values in meta tags are not quoted
>
>   - no </p> and </li> tags are generated
>
>   - an <hr> tag should be <hr />

I'm out of office, and for security problems I cannot access gcc.gnu.org
via SSH, but perhaps you could check whether the version of makeinfo on
gcc.gnu.org is the most current one (the package is called texinfo, but
the output of  makeinfo --version  is relevant here).

If it's not up-to-date, please ask overseers@gcc.gnu.org to update, else
it would be a good idea to contact the developers of makeinfo and report
these problems.

Thanks,
Gerald

* Re: Website in XHTML
@ 2002-09-20 11:10     ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2002-09-20 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Janis Johnson, Udo Steinbach, gcc

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:14:25AM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Janis Johnson wrote:
> > Thanks for pointing that out so we can fix it.
> >
> > This file is generated from gcc/doc/install.texi, and the problems are
> > in the generated XHTML commands.  For those of you who understand what
> > those tools are doing and what might be going wrong, or if the wrong
> > version of the tools is being used, here are some of the problems with
> > the generated html file:
> >
> >   - end tag for "meta" omitted, or tag not ended with "/>"
> >
> >   - some attribute values in meta tags are not quoted
> >
> >   - no </p> and </li> tags are generated
> >
> >   - an <hr> tag should be <hr />
>
> I'm out of office, and for security problems I cannot access gcc.gnu.org
> via SSH, but perhaps you could check whether the version of makeinfo on
> gcc.gnu.org is the most current one (the package is called texinfo, but
> the output of  makeinfo --version  is relevant here).
>
> If it's not up-to-date, please ask overseers@gcc.gnu.org to update, else
> it would be a good idea to contact the developers of makeinfo and report
> these problems.

When I run doc/texi2html using makeinfo version 4.2 I get the same
problems that are listed above.

The texinfo documentation says "The HTML generated is mostly standard
(i.e., HTML 2.0, RFC-1866)."  It looks like we should use different
headers for html files generated by makeinfo, and don't include the
compliance claim in the footer.

Janis

* Re: Website in XHTML
@ 2002-09-20 12:38       ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2002-09-20 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janis Johnson; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Janis Johnson, Udo Steinbach, gcc

> The texinfo documentation says "The HTML generated is mostly standard
> (i.e., HTML 2.0, RFC-1866)."  It looks like we should use different
> headers for html files generated by makeinfo, and don't include the
> compliance claim in the footer.

If we want to be XHTML-compliant, we'd need to get texinfo fixed.

* Re: Website in XHTML
@ 2002-10-04  4:58         ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2002-10-04  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Janis Johnson, Udo Steinbach, gcc

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Joe Buck wrote:
> If we want to be XHTML-compliant, we'd need to get texinfo fixed.

Yes, and Janis already contacted the makeinfo maintainers with a very
nice "bug" report/feature request.

In the meantime, I'm going to hack our scripts to avoid claiming XHTML 1.0
compliance for /install.

Gerald