* VCG or GNUVCG or GVCG or GViz?
@ 2002-10-19 11:57 James Michael DuPont
From: James Michael DuPont @ 2002-10-19 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear GCC developers,

I am writing to you again about the VCG tool,
and about this webpage:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/news/egcs-vcg.html

First of all,
What I would like to know from you all, in form of a simple
voting is if you support the renaming of vcg to GnuVCG, GVCG  or
GNUViz?
I would like to put the gnu name in the project, but need some support
on that.
The savannah maintains told me that I cannot have the GNU name yet,
so If you think it a good idea, please just send me "I support" mail,
if I get enough of them, then I will go back them with a list of
signatures.

Second of all, about this page,
Sorry for writing to everyone, there was not any responsable name on
the web page.
>>Please send comments on these web pages and GCC to gcc@gnu.org or
>>gcc@gcc.gnu.org, send other questions to gnu@gnu.org.

>Programs to draw graphs from a textual input exist quite a few and at
>one of them are freely available (one even comes with all the source
>code). Currently known are daVinci and VCG. So far only VCG is
>supported but we certainly accept patches.

Well, davinci  "http://www.tzi.de/~davinci/"
has been sold off.
From the FAQ:
Q: Can I get the sources of daVinci?
A: Sorry, but only the binary distribution of daVinci is public
available.

>>Where to get?
>>If you have a GCC later than 2.92.22 you have the necessary changes
>>to the compiler. There is no up-to-date patch for older version of
>>the compiler so you have to update to GCC in any case.

>You also need the VCG program. The original version is available here.
>The problem with this version is that it has a few little bugs. A
>corrected version is available.
The links to the corrected version are broken, can you please send me
the patch?

>>Oh, did we mention that you have to run a Unix with X Windows? Go
>>away, Windows Weenies!
This is pretty nice way to insult people.
I am planning out a port of VCG to GTK right now, then it will work on
windows for windows weenies.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont