* Target deprecation, round two
@ 2002-12-12 22:02 Zack Weinberg
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-12-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Apologies for not getting back to this for so long.

This is my updated list of targets to be deprecated in 3.3 and removed
in 3.4.  It's exhaustive - if there's something currently listed in
mainline config.gcc as deprecated but not on that list, it's been
reprieved.

Relative to the previous posting, I took off all of the targets in
which anyone expressed even the slightest interest; this is consistent
with what we did last time round, but I'm not promising to keep doing
that.

It is not clear to me whether interest remains in *-*-linux*libc1*.
I'm leaving it on the deprecation list for now.

        i370-*-*
        i960-*-*
        m88k-*-*
        romp-*-*

	alpha*-*-interix*
	alpha*-*-linux*libc1*

	arm*-*-coff*
	arm*-*-aout*
	arm*-*-aof*
	arm*-*-conix*
	arm*-*-oabi
	strongarm-*-coff*

	hppa1.0-*-osf*
	hppa1.0-*-bsd*
	hppa1.[01]-*-hpux[789]*
	hppa*-*-hiux*
	hppa*-*-lites*
	hppa*-*-mpeix*

	i?86-ncr-*
	i?86-sequent-*
	i?86-moss-*
	i?86-*-netware
	i?86-*-freebsd2*
	i?86-*-netbsd*aout*
	i?86-*-coff*
	i?86-*-linux*aout*
	i?86-*-linux*libc1
	i?86-*-moss*
	i?86-*-sysv3*
	i?86-*-vsta
	i?86-*-interix # not interix3

	m68000-hp-bsd*
	m68000-hp-hpux*
	m68000-sun-sunos*
	m68000-att-sysv*
	m68k-atari-sysv*
	m68k-motorola-sysv*
	m68k-ncr-sysv*
	m68k-plexus-sysv*
	m68k-tti-*
	m68k-crds-unos*
	m68k-cbm-sysv*
	m68k-ccur-rtu*
	m68k-hp-bsd*
	m68k-hp-hpux*
	m68k-sun-mach*
	m68k-sun-sunos*
	m68k-*-linux*aout*
	m68k-*-linux*libc1
	m68k-*-psos*

	mips-sgi-irix5*
	mips*-*-ecoff*
        mips-sni-sysv4

	powerpc*-*-sysv*  # the generic one only
	powerpc*-*-linux*libc1
	rs6000-ibm-aix[123]*
	rs6000-bull-bosx
	rs6000-*-mach*

	sparc-*-aout*
	sparc-*-netbsd*aout*
	sparc-*-bsd*
	sparc-*-chorusos*
	sparc-*-linux*aout*
	sparc-*-linux*libc1*
	sparc-*-lynxos*
	sparc-hal-solaris2*
	sparc-*-sunos[34]*
	sparclet-*-aout*
	sparclite-*-coff*
	sparclite-*-aout*
	sparc86x-*-aout*

	vax-*-bsd*
	vax-*-sysv*
	vax-*-netbsd*aout*
        vax-*-vms*

zw

* Re: Target deprecation, round two
@ 2002-12-13  4:05 ` Rainer Orth
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rainer Orth @ 2002-12-13  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gcc

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

> 	mips-sgi-irix5*

Please leave this in.  I'm still working (albeit slowly) on improved
support for that configuration and integrating support for the O32 ABI (via
the new mips-sgi-irix6*o32 target) into mips-sgi-irix6.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

* Re: Target deprecation, round two
@ 2002-12-13  8:26 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2002-12-13  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gcc

Zack> This is my updated list of targets to be deprecated in 3.3 and removed
Zack> in 3.4.  It's exhaustive - if there's something currently listed in
Zack> mainline config.gcc as deprecated but not on that list, it's been
Zack> reprieved.

Zack> i370-*-*

	Again, please do not remove this target.  Dave Pitt and others
continue to work on it.

Thanks, David

* Re: Target deprecation, round two
@ 2002-12-13 20:07 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2002-12-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> It is not clear to me whether interest remains in *-*-linux*libc1*.

Well, for now there is for i?86.  Note there was also a PR for
3.2.x regarding it being broken.  (BTW, it's a regression
there but the patch was too invasive for 3.2.1.)

> 	i?86-*-linux*libc1

Having recently take it back to bootstrapland for C and C++, I'd
like to keep it for a while.  Java is out of question (assuming
GC and EH are required), see archive and patch.

brgds, H-P

* Re: Target deprecation, round two
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-12-16  2:16 ` Nick Burrett
From: Nick Burrett @ 2002-12-16  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gcc

Zack Weinberg wrote:

> 	arm*-*-aof*

Please do not remove this target.  I maintain a software development
kit, based around GCC, that targets this assember format.

Nick.

* Re: Target deprecation, round two
@ 2002-12-29 16:27   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2002-12-29 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Burrett; +Cc: Zack Weinberg, gcc

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Nick Burrett wrote:
>> 	arm*-*-aof*
> Please do not remove this target.  I maintain a software development
> kit, based around GCC, that targets this assember format.

If you have any local modifications, it might be worth submitting these
for inclusion in GCC (please see http://gcc.gnu.org/contributewhy.html
for some motivation).

Zack, I believe we should send target deprecation notes also to the
gcc-announce list, not just gcc (We cannot assume everyone interested
in GCC always reads the gcc list, I suppose).

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: Target deprecation, round two
@ 2002-12-30  0:12     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-12-30  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Nick Burrett, Zack Weinberg, gcc

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> Zack, I believe we should send target deprecation notes also to the
> gcc-announce list, not just gcc (We cannot assume everyone interested
> in GCC always reads the gcc list, I suppose).

Once a provisional list has been agreed, yes (considering that a message
was sent to gcc-announce for removal of support files for the systems that
had only ever worked in GCC 1).  We could start with a list of the systems
that were obsoleted in 3.1 and removed in 3.3, and of the systems
obsoleted in 3.3 that will be removed in 3.4 in the absence of any
interest, then follow up with an agreed list of those to be obsoleted in
3.4.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk