* installation instructions; glitchlet
@ 2002-12-02  3:43 Edward Welbourne
From: Edward Welbourne @ 2002-12-02  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

If you have previously built ... paragraph:
> ... if make distclean complains that Makefile does not exist, it
> probably means that ...

actually, make doesn't complain that Makefile does not exist: it
complains that it has no rule for making distclean.  Albeit this is
*caused* by the lack of Makefile, the error message doesn't say that;
the above should perhaps say

 ... if make complains that it has no rule for distclean, this
 probably means that the Makefile is absent and ...

or something similar.

--program-transform, --program-suffix use -3.1 as illustration; but
gcc is now up to -3.2 ...

--with-gnu-as:
> and will result in confusion if found assembler is not actually [gas]
missing word: the                ^
but I'd far sooner see: ... if the assembler found is ...

> (Confusion will also result if the compiler finds the GNU assembler
> but has not been configured with --with-gnu-as.)

ouch - really ?
You didn't mean to say "but was configured with --without-gnu-as" ?
So I *have to* say --with-gnu-as even though as --version makes it
quite plain what assembler it is.  OK, duly added to config opts.

ah, but no: you subsequently say this only applies on some systems; so
the uses of "will" in the two above excerpts should both be "may".

--with-cpu:
> currently only supported on the some ports,
spurious word: the            ^^^

> please check the configure script for a complete list of supported models.
need instructions on how to *find* this list *within* the script.
In fact, does it really live inside the script still ?
I am unable to find the text arm700, for instance.

	Eddy.