* Target-specific bugs (was Re: Number of 3.3 hi-pri PRs going up)
@ 2003-02-22  7:13 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-02-22  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Wolfgang noted:

> [Port maintainers:]
> - The state of reports in the "bootstrap" and "target" categories is
>   probably best described by "neglected". Since not many people can test
>   them, it really requires more attention by the port maintainers. The
>   majority of our 1800 or so unfixed reports are in these categories, and
>   many of them are in "open" state since their filing -- often two years
>   or more ago. I have tried to make an effort to indicate in the synopsis
>   of many of them for which target they are, but that doesn't seem to
>   incite maintainers to look at them :-( If nobody cares about these
>   reports, we could just as well delete them, since the bug database is
>   worthless then.

How's this for a (slightly radical) proposal?

1. Platforms for which no 3.x build has been reported: Close all
target-specific bugs immediately and possibly deprecate the platform.
These are the ones which just aren't going to get worked on.  I would
make an exception for platforms where the port maintainers are very
active at fixing bugs, but I don't think I *need* to, since they
probably have reported builds.  This means there won't be any bugs open
against 'experimental' platforms, which is fine by me.

2. Platforms for which builds work, but bugs sit open indefinitely:
Contact the port maintainers.  If there are no active port maintainers,
or the port maintainers aren't interested in that specific platform,
close all the bugs and possibly deprecate the platform.

If there are active port maintainers, the bugs should either get fixed,
be closed as unreproducible, or be noted as 'unfixable' somewhere; but
I'm guessing that bugs in actively used platforms aren't actually the
majority of the 1800 reports.  If they are, we have a different problem.

If this sounds like a good proposal, I can start closing reports against
dead ports in my spare time...

--Nathanael

* Re: Target-specific bugs (was Re: Number of 3.3 hi-pri PRs going up)
@ 2003-02-23 21:50 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-02-23 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, joel.sherril

Joel wrote:
>I don't know that this is entirely true.  I have been reporting on my
>results of building about 35-40 cross targets on a GNU/Linux.  On those
You rock!

>> For another thought, I strongly suggest that any bug in feedback and
>> without feedback for 3 months be closed, and that this be documented
>> somewhere.  (The standard I've been using is 6 months, which I think
>is
>> overly generous.)
>
>I think that will end up closing some that are simply being ignored
>without
>ever being addressed or fixed.  For example, I filed PR 3587
>on "Fri Jul 06 06:46:02 PDT 2001", it still applies to the 3.2 and 3.3
>branches
>(no testing on trunk), and has never gotten a bit of attention.
Shouldn't be in feedback anymore -- feedback is for 'maintainers need
more information to reproduce'.  And I meant 'waiting for feedback for > 3
months'.  I would like to throw away some reports which haven't been
tested on any current version (only RH2.96 or earlier), but if it's
been reproduced on the 3.2 or 3.3 branches, it should certainly be open.

(Well, except for the mass of C++ old parser bugs, since they're really
'wontfix' bugs prior to the new parser).

(Or if it's a bug against a dead target, in which case we should
pull support for the target rather than pretending it works.  Which
requires discussion on gcc@gcc.gnu.org first.)

Sorry nobody's actually fixed your bug.

--Nathanael