* downloading GCC documentation
@ 2003-05-08 20:57 phil
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: phil @ 2003-05-08 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

It would be nice if there was a link to allowing downloading the full
GCC documentation tree as a tar.gz file.  I have looked on the following
pages and do not see such a link:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.2/ (forbidden, but hey, I tried)
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/readings.html

I want to read the documentation while "offline" (literally, while my
slow dialup modem is busy downloading the latest of everything, which is
usually the case 95% of the time) in my web browser.  Alternatively,
"one big HTML file" could work, although I suspect that would be
unwieldy for something the scale of GCC.  But I think the tar.gz thing
should be readily doable.

This would save me having to run wget recursively on the documentation,
and rerunning it to be sure a file here or there didn't get missed
(generally I figure two passes w/o any change in the downloaded tree
means likely success).  But with a tar.gz file, one download and an MD5
check should do it.

Further, the web server on gcc.gnu.org does not give a Last-modified
header, so wget always retrieves each file all over again on each pass.

I check the FTP server on the same hostname.  The "pub" area does not
seem to have the online docs files (even a recursive download would be
better here as the timestamps would be preserved and be usable to avoid
redundant downloading).  The "www" area of the FTP server is not the
gcc.gnu.org site; it appears to be empty.

I am not subscribed to the mailing list.  This is a suggestion for the
web site since I have already downloaded the documentation (the hard
way).  However, if you have any communications for me about this, feel
free to contact me by email.

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |
| phil-nospam@ipal.net | Texas, USA | http://ka9wgn.ham.org/    |

* Re: downloading GCC documentation
@ 2003-05-08 21:07 ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2003-05-08 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: gcc

phil@ipal.net writes:

> I want to read the documentation while "offline" (literally, while my
> slow dialup modem is busy downloading the latest of everything, which is
> usually the case 95% of the time) in my web browser.

Check out wwwoffle  for this. This is a caching  web proxy that allows
you to surf offline easyly.

--
Matthieu

* Re: downloading GCC documentation
@ 2003-05-10 16:44 ` Michael Eager
From: Michael Eager @ 2003-05-10 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: gcc

Speaking of documentation, is the source file for gccint.ps available
somewhere?  I couldn't find it, and the ps file prints all of the page
numbers off the top of the page.

--
Michael Eager	 Eager Consulting     eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077

* Re: downloading GCC documentation
@ 2003-05-10 19:02   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-05-10 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Eager; +Cc: phil, gcc

It's in the source directory as Texinfo; gcc/doc/gccint*.

@ 2003-05-24 11:21 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-24 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 8 May 2003 phil@ipal.net wrote:
> It would be nice if there was a link to allowing downloading the full
> GCC documentation tree as a tar.gz file.  I have looked on the following
> pages and do not see such a link:

I had a look, and you should be able to download that using rsync
(http://gcc.gnu.org/rsync.html).

> I want to read the documentation while "offline" (literally, while my
> slow dialup modem is busy downloading the latest of everything, which is
> usually the case 95% of the time) in my web browser.  Alternatively,
> "one big HTML file" could work, although I suspect that would be
> unwieldy for something the scale of GCC.  But I think the tar.gz thing
> should be readily doable.

This is one of those issues where you provide something (useful) and
people keep asking for more and more and more. :-}

Have you considered using the .info docs that we ship as part of releases
(and which you can build yourself when bootstrapping GCC as well)?

There are now nice info readers such as tkInfo, and thanks to a patch by
Mike Stump, for future versions of GCC you'll be able to easily generate
the HTML versions yourself by a simple `make html`.

> Further, the web server on gcc.gnu.org does not give a Last-modified
> header, so wget always retrieves each file all over again on each pass.

I have reported this to the gcc.gnu.org admins.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: downloading GCC documentation
@ 2003-05-27 15:53   ` E. Weddington
From: E. Weddington @ 2003-05-27 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

On 24 May 2003 at 11:51, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

<snip>
> [...] and thanks to a patch by
> Mike Stump, for future versions of GCC you'll be able to easily generate
> the HTML versions yourself by a simple `make html`.

This is great! Starting with which version?

Eric

* Re: downloading GCC documentation
@ 2003-05-27 19:22     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-27 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: E. Weddington; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 27 May 2003, E. Weddington wrote:
>> [...] and thanks to a patch by Mike Stump, for future versions of GCC
>> you'll be able to easily generate the HTML versions yourself by a
>> simple `make html`.
> This is great! Starting with which version?

Current mainline sources, that is, what will become GCC 3.4.

(If you don't use CVS, we will probably start creating snapshots from
there in the not-too-far future.)

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/