* GCC 2.95.2
@ 2000-11-30  6:01 c958179
From: c958179 @ 2000-11-30  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Why can't I use GCC 2.95.2 for a makefile with folloving condition:
I mean it exit.

target-dir:
	@if ( $(MAKE) -version 2>/dev/null | grep GNU > /dev/null ) ; then
\
		echo Gnumake. Excellent ; \
	else \
		echo This does not appear to be gnumake. ; \
		exit 1 ; \

Why is gcc-2.95.2 not fulfilling the condition?

Rb.

* Re: GCC 2.95.2
@ 2000-11-30 13:27 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2000-11-30 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c958179; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 02:54:11PM +0100, c958179@student.dtu.dk wrote:
> Why can't I use GCC 2.95.2 for a makefile with folloving condition:
> I mean it exit.
>
> target-dir:
> 	@if ( $(MAKE) -version 2>/dev/null | grep GNU > /dev/null ) ; then
> \
> 		echo Gnumake. Excellent ; \
> 	else \
> 		echo This does not appear to be gnumake. ; \
> 		exit 1 ; \
>

> Why is gcc-2.95.2 not fulfilling the condition?

Because this has nothing to do with gcc. The makefile is complaining
about the fact that the "make" utility is not GNU make. Get GNU make
from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/ .

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* Re: GCC 2.95.2
@ 2000-11-30 14:34   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2000-11-30 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Mouw; +Cc: c958179, gcc

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:27:10PM +0100, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 02:54:11PM +0100, c958179@student.dtu.dk wrote:
> > Why can't I use GCC 2.95.2 for a makefile with folloving condition:
> > I mean it exit.
> >
> > target-dir:
> > 	@if ( $(MAKE) -version 2>/dev/null | grep GNU > /dev/null ) ; then
> > \
> > 		echo Gnumake. Excellent ; \
> > 	else \
> > 		echo This does not appear to be gnumake. ; \
> > 		exit 1 ; \
> >

> > Why is gcc-2.95.2 not fulfilling the condition?
>
> Because this has nothing to do with gcc. The makefile is complaining
> about the fact that the "make" utility is not GNU make. Get GNU make
> from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/ .

Also worth pointing out that you're missing a "fi" at the end of the
commands, which will make it barf no matter which version of make you have.

A better test for gnumake is: [cribbed from GNU libc's Makerules]

ifneq(,)
This makefile requires GNU Make.
endif

REQUIRED_MAKE_VERSION = 3.74	# Or whatever
REAL_MAKE_VERSION = $(firstword $(MAKE_VERSION))

ifneq ($(REQUIRED_MAKE_VERSION), \
       $(firstword $(sort $(REAL_MAKE_VERSION) $(REQUIRED_MAKE_VERSION))))
Wrong GNU Make version.  See above for the version needed.
endif

Or just name the makefile "GNUmakefile" and be done with it.

zw

* Re: gcc 2.95.2
       [not found] </prmd=kp/o=notes/s=Maznabi/g=Sally/i=S/"@MHS>
@ 2001-05-16 17:35 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2001-05-16 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sally S Maznabi; +Cc: gcc

Sally> I am planning to install gcc 2.95.2 on an IBM AIX server.  I am
Sally> dowloading the gcc from the sunfreeware site.  Does gcc 2.95.2 works on
Sally> IBM AIX server.
Sally> Any information you can provide will be greatly appreicated.

	As Joe mentioned, the Sun website is for Sun Solaris binaries, not
AIX binaries.  Binaries of GCC for AIX are available from:

http://www-frec.bull.com/docs/download.htm

and

http://aixpdlib.seas.ucla.edu

David

* Re: gcc 2.95.2
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2001-05-16 16:22 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2001-05-16 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sally S Maznabi; +Cc: gcc

> I am planning to install gcc 2.95.2 on an IBM AIX server.  I am
> dowloading the gcc from the sunfreeware site.  Does gcc 2.95.2 works on
> IBM AIX server.

sunfreeware provides precompiled binaries for Solaris, not for IBM AIX,
so that isn't going to work.  But gcc does support AIX.

Please ask the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org list for assistance; gcc@gcc.gnu.org
is the compiler developers' list.

@ 2001-05-16 15:28 ` Sally S Maznabi
From: Sally S Maznabi @ 2001-05-16 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am planning to install gcc 2.95.2 on an IBM AIX server.  I am dowloading the gcc from the sunfreeware site.  Does gcc 2.95.2 works on IBM AIX server.
Any information you can provide will be greatly appreicated.
 Thanks,   -Sally
323-259-4067

* Re: gcc 2.95.2
@ 2001-01-30 13:56 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-01-30 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EXT-MOORE, JERRY; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

On Jan 30, 2001, "EXT-MOORE, JERRY" <Jerry.Moore@SW.Boeing.com> wrote:

> I downloaded your precompiled version of gcc on HP-UX 11.0 clean install.

Not ours.  The GCC web site doesn't have any precompiled versions.  We
only offer sources.

> # gcc -o rand rand.c
> as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 25: error 1052: Directive name not
> recognized -NSUBSPA

The site from which you have downloaded the binaries probably mentions
that you have to download binutils too.  If it doesn't, please bug the
maintainer of that site.

* gcc 2.95.2
@ 2001-01-30 10:15 EXT-MOORE, JERRY
From: EXT-MOORE, JERRY @ 2001-01-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

I downloaded your precompiled version of gcc on HP-UX 11.0 clean install.
I get the following error messages when trying to compile a simple 18 line
source which
is a test.

# gcc -o rand rand.c
as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 25: error 1052: Directive name not
recognized -NSUBSPA
as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 61: warning 36: Use of %fr22L is incorrect
for the current LEVEL of 1.0
as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 63: warning 36: Use of %fr24L is incorrect
for the current LEVEL of 1.0
as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 64: warning 36: Use of %fr24L is incorrect
for the current LEVEL of 1.0
as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 64: warning 36: Use of %fr22L is incorrect
for the current LEVEL of 1.0
as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 64: warning 36: Use of %fr23 is incorrect
for the current LEVEL of 1.0
as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 64: warning 36: Use of XMPYU is incorrect
for the current LEVEL of 1.0
as: "/var/tmp/ccfeGsvc.s", line 65: warning 36: Use of %fr23L is incorrect
for the current LEVEL of 1.0

Source:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>

main()
{
        int i,y;
        int rand();
        int k;
        double x;

        srand(time(NULL));

        for (i = 1; i<7; i++)
        {
        printf("\nThe number is %d\n", rand()%55);

* GCC 2.95.2
@ 2000-12-04  3:26 c958179
From: c958179 @ 2000-12-04  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

 I am using gcc-2.95.2 to compile a c++ program. The program has been
 compiled and run with a egcs-1.1.2 compiler before.But when I try to
 compile the same program with gcc-2.95.2 I get errors like:

 ANCI C++ forbids declaration 'xxxx' with no type.
 and
 field 'xxxx' has incomplete type.

 What is the meaning of these errors?

In the source code(RigidBodyTrans.H) I am having the following
errors:
field 'rotate' has incomplete type
field 'translate' has incomplete type

And in the source code RAPID_PRIVATE, I am getting this error:

ANCI C++ forbids declaration 'RAPID_Collide' with no type.

Thank you

Sc.

* Re: GCC 2.95.2
@ 2000-12-04  2:05 ` Bo Thorsen
From: Bo Thorsen @ 2000-12-04  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c958179; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 c958179@student.dtu.dk wrote:

> I am using gcc-2.95.2 to compile a c++ program. The program has been
> compiled and run with a egcs-1.1.2 compiler before.But when I try to
> compile the same program with gcc-2.95.2 I get errors like:
>
> ANCI C++ forbids declaration 'xxxx' with no type.
> and
> field 'xxxx' has incomplete type.
>
> What is the meaning of these errors?
>
> Are there something wrong with the program or with the compiler?

Send some source code along with questions like this. That makes it a lot
easier to answer your questions.

Bo.

--

Bo Thorsen
bo@sonofthor.dk

Rule one of good programmers: anything You can do, I can do better
Rule two of good programmers: anything I can do, You can do better
The Programming Theorem: anything worth doing is worth doing over and over again

* GCC 2.95.2
@ 2000-12-04  2:01 c958179
From: c958179 @ 2000-12-04  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am using gcc-2.95.2 to compile a c++ program. The program has been
compiled and run with a egcs-1.1.2 compiler before.But when I try to
compile the same program with gcc-2.95.2 I get errors like:

ANCI C++ forbids declaration 'xxxx' with no type.
and
field 'xxxx' has incomplete type.

What is the meaning of these errors?

Are there something wrong with the program or with the compiler?

Thank you in advance.

Sc.

* Re: gcc 2.95.2
       [not found] ` <20001002171956.A5262@napalm.go.cz>
@ 2000-10-02 22:53 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-10-02 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Clifford; +Cc: gcc

On Oct  2, 2000, Michael Clifford <michael@eternal-bliss.com> wrote:

> checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess
> host type; you must specify one

The problem is that config.guess assumes the C compiler is named
`cc' unless you set the environment variable CC to the name of the
compiler.  When you removed the RPMs, you also removed the link `cc ->
gcc', that is installed by the RPM version, but not by the FSF GCC.
Just re-create the link and all will be fine.

* Re: gcc 2.95.2
@ 2000-10-02 16:28     ` Robert Boehne
From: Robert Boehne @ 2000-10-02 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I had exactly this same problem, so couldn't we
assume that the problem is in binutils-2.10 ?

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center

@ 2000-10-02 16:10   ` Michael Clifford
From: Michael Clifford @ 2000-10-02 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Dvorak; +Cc: gcc

I upgraded binutils to 2.10. Again, I removed the 2.9 rpm that
redhat installed. binutils 2.10 installed from source without a
hitch, but the configure scripts from all apps I download fail
to recognize my host type. I have to manually specify it by
saying:

./configure <my options> i686-pc-linux-gnu

Where i686-pc-linux-gnu is my HOST type. Any insight? Again,
please forward to michael@eternal-bliss.com since I am not on
the list.

--
Michael Clifford
http://www.eternal-bliss.com

"We can only learn so much and live." -- Thomas Harris

* gcc 2.95.2
@ 2000-10-02  7:53 Michael Clifford
       [not found] ` <20001002171956.A5262@napalm.go.cz>
From: Michael Clifford @ 2000-10-02  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: michael

Hello everyone,

I have one question. I am running RedHat 6.1 and decided to
update gcc. I downloaded gcc-2.95.2 source.

I Then followed the install instructions to install a native
compiler. From the top level directory of the tarball I did:

mkdir objdir
cd objdir
./configure --prefix=/usr
make bootstrap

All that was fine and well. I then removed the egcs rpms from my
RH install. There were 3 of them.

I then did:
make install

Everything installed without a hitch. What I do notice now is
that when I run the configure script for any app, it tells me:

checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess
host type; you must specify one

I have never had this problem. How can I fix it to where
config.guess determines my host type again?

P.S - I am not on the list, so please forward to
michael@eternal-bliss.com

cliffom
--

@ 2000-01-12  3:32 Rainer Drath
From: Rainer Drath @ 2000-01-12  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Can GNU C 2.95.2 compile PalmOS-Applications (*.prc) on a Windows machine?
Does anybody have gotten this into work? Perhaps the application for Windows
is available in a compiled status? Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Rainer Drath

* GCC 2.95.2
@ 1999-10-31 23:35 ` Dana, Eric
From: Dana, Eric @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

I see that gcc 2.95.2 is available on ftp.gnu.org, but there was
no official announcement and the egcs page has not been updated. Is
this an official release or is the egcs page out of date?

--Eric Dana--

* Re: GCC 2.95.2
@ 1999-10-31 23:35   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dana, Eric; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

  In message < 618C9ED0E58FD211B19100A0C9EAF0CF1B7E8D@es01-bos >you write:
  > I see that gcc 2.95.2 is available on ftp.gnu.org, but there was
  > no official announcement and the egcs page has not been updated. Is
  > this an official release or is the egcs page out of date?
The official announcement hasn't gone out because the release is still
propagating to the mirrors.  That's also why you can't download it from
directly from gcc.gnu.org.

jeff

* Re: GCC 2.95.2
@ 1999-10-31 23:35   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dana, Eric; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

On Oct 27, 1999, "Dana, Eric" <Eric_Dana@bmc.com> wrote:

> I see that gcc 2.95.2 is available on ftp.gnu.org, but there was
> no official announcement and the egcs page has not been updated. Is
> this an official release or is the egcs page out of date?

It is not official before it's announced :-)

But it will be as soon as it propagates to mirrors all over the world
and the announcement is posted.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm,computer}.org

* Re: GCC 2.95.2
@ 1999-10-27 12:40 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-10-27 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dana, Eric; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

@ 1999-10-27 12:39 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-10-27 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dana, Eric; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

  In message < 618C9ED0E58FD211B19100A0C9EAF0CF1B7E8D@es01-bos >you write:
  > I see that gcc 2.95.2 is available on ftp.gnu.org, but there was
  > no official announcement and the egcs page has not been updated. Is
  > this an official release or is the egcs page out of date?
The official announcement hasn't gone out because the release is still
propagating to the mirrors.  That's also why you can't download it from
directly from gcc.gnu.org.

jeff

* GCC 2.95.2
@ 1999-10-27  8:29 Dana, Eric