* Re: [cygnus.bug-gcc] `-Q' switch to GCC is not documented; fix included
@ 1997-12-02 12:16 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-02 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Meissner; +Cc: egcs

  In message < sy90u38q8m.fsf@tiktok.cygnus.com >you write:
  > I tend to agree with Nate's posting to bug-gcc, we probably should document
  > this in egcs.  I mean the switch has been valid since at least gcc 2 if not
  > gcc 1.35 and beyond.
Done.
jeff

* [cygnus.bug-gcc] `-Q' switch to GCC is not documented; fix included
@ 1997-12-02 16:29 Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 1997-12-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

From: eldredge@ap.net (Nate Eldredge)
Newsgroups: cygnus.bug-gcc
Subject: `-Q' switch to GCC is not documented; fix included
Date: 30 Nov 1997 10:58:57 -0800
To: bug-gcc@prep.ai.mit.edu

The title pretty much says it. GCC's `-Q' option, which prints each
function's name as it is compiled, and prints some time statistics at the
end, isn't mentioned in the documentation, at least for GCC 2.7.2.1. Here is
a patch which adds it.

*** invoke.texi~	Tue Oct  3 15:40:43 1995
--- invoke.texi	Sun Nov 30 09:02:56 1997
***************
*** 1582,1587 ****
--- 1582,1591 ----
  however, that the format of the data is not what @code{tcov} expects.
  Eventually GNU @code{gprof} should be extended to process this data.

+ @item -Q
+ Makes the compiler print out each function name as it is compiled, and
+ print some statistics about each pass when it finishes.
+
  @item -d@var{letters}
  Says to make debugging dumps during compilation at times specified by
  @var{letters}.  This is used for debugging the compiler.  The file names

Nate Eldredge
eldredge@ap.net

Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
meissner@cygnus.com,	617-354-5416 (office),	617-354-7161 (fax)

* Re: Info discrepancy
@ 1997-12-02 18:18     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-02 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Krivosheev; +Cc: egcs

  In message < Pine.GSO.3.96.971202194457.11597A-100000@drabble >you write:

  > gcc.info-1 has an introduction:
  >
  > Introduction
  > ************
  >
  >    This manual documents how to run, install and port the GNU compiler,
  > as well as its new features and incompatibilities, and how to report
  > bugs.  It corresponds to GNU CC version 2.7.2.
We do not want to go change ever reference to egcs; gcc2 is a component
included in egcs -- thus most of the text is still relavent.

One could argue the version # should change, but what should it change to?

Jeff

* Info discrepancy
@ 1997-12-02 18:18   ` Oleg Krivosheev
From: Oleg Krivosheev @ 1997-12-02 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law; +Cc: egcs

gcc.info-1 has an introduction:

Introduction
************

   This manual documents how to run, install and port the GNU compiler,
as well as its new features and incompatibilities, and how to report
bugs.  It corresponds to GNU CC version 2.7.2.

probably, it should refer to egcs ?

next, there are TONS of gcc2.7.2 referencies in
g77 info - how ot set up g77-0.5.21 on top
of gcc 2.7.2.x etc.

regards

OK

* Re: Info discrepancy
@ 1997-12-02 23:24       ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-12-02 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: kriol, egcs

>   > bugs.  It corresponds to GNU CC version 2.7.2.
> We do not want to go change ever reference to egcs; gcc2 is a component
> included in egcs -- thus most of the text is still relavent.
>
> One could argue the version # should change, but what should it change to?

If the manual is not the FSF version, it must not lie and say that
it is.  So there has to be an egcs reference (unless the manual
is the same as the forthcoming 2.8.0 manual).

Possibilities:

It corresponds to GNU CC version egcs-1.0.

It corresponds to GNU CC version 2.8.0 (plus egcs features).

* Re: Info discrepancy
@ 1997-12-02 23:24         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-02 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: kriol, egcs

  In message < 199712030651.WAA13990@atrus.synopsys.com >you write:
  > > One could argue the version # should change, but what should it change to
  >
  > If the manual is not the FSF version, it must not lie and say that
  > it is.  So there has to be an egcs reference (unless the manual
  > is the same as the forthcoming 2.8.0 manual).
  >
  > Possibilities:
  >
  > It corresponds to GNU CC version egcs-1.0.
  >
  > It corresponds to GNU CC version 2.8.0 (plus egcs features).
OK.  I jus did a global grep and came up with about a dozen files that
need to be looked at.  Hopefully this won't take too long; I'd like to
spin, catch some zzzs and post the announcement first thing in the
morning.
jeff