* Install Trouble
@ 1999-06-14 10:44 KHumpf
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: KHumpf @ 1999-06-14 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I'm trying to install ecgs on our sun-solaris machine and I keep getting
a "fatal error".

The reason I'm installing this is for a program called HT://Dig.  It's a
search engine we're trying to use but apparently we're missing a C++ or
G++ library.

I was told to install egcs to resolve this but as I mentioned, I'm
getting an error (actually a couple errors).  I get through
"./configure" with no problem, but then I run "make bootstrap" and it
runs through a bunch of stuff until finally I get:

rm -f libiberty.a
ar rc libiberty.a \
  argv.o choose-temp.o concat.o cplus-dem.o  fdmatch.o fnmatch.o
getopt.o getopt1.o getruntime.o hex.o  floatformat.o objalloc.o
obstack.o pex
ecute.o spaces.o strerror.o  strsignal.o xatexit.o xexit.o xmalloc.o
xstrdup.o xstrerror.o  asprintf.o basename.o sigsetmask.o vasprintf.o
sh: ar: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libiberty.a'
Current working directory /home/amptiac/HTDIG/CPLUS/egcs-1.1.2/libiberty
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-libiberty'

Even though I got that, I still tried "make install" afterward and got
this:

/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/local  /usr/local
rm -f libobjc.a
ar rc libobjc.a objc/hash.o objc/sarray.o  objc/class.o objc/sendmsg.o
objc/init.o objc/archive.o  objc/encoding.o objc/selector.o  objc/obje
cts.o objc/misc.o  objc/NXConstStr.o objc/Object.o  objc/Protocol.o
objc/nil_method.o  objc/thr.o objc/linking.o  objc/thr-posix.o
sh: ar: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libobjc.a'
Current working directory /home/amptiac/HTDIG/CPLUS/egcs-1.1.2/gcc
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-gcc'

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Keith Humpf
khumpf@iitri.org
(315)-339-7071 - voice
(315)-339-7107 - fax
IIT Research Institute
201 Mill Street
Rome, NY 13440

Keith Humpf
khumpf@iitri.org
(315)-339-7071 - voice
(315)-339-7107 - fax
IIT Research Institute
201 Mill Street
Rome, NY 13440

* Re: Install Trouble
@ 1999-06-14 11:00 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-06-14 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KHumpf; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 0C8DC31BEB22D211ACF900805F65310D6746BF@email.iitri.org >you write:
  > I'm trying to install ecgs on our sun-solaris machine and I keep getting
  > a "fatal error".
  >
  > The reason I'm installing this is for a program called HT://Dig.  It's a
  > search engine we're trying to use but apparently we're missing a C++ or
  > G++ library.
  >
  > I was told to install egcs to resolve this but as I mentioned, I'm
  > getting an error (actually a couple errors).  I get through
  > "./configure" with no problem, but then I run "make bootstrap" and it
  > runs through a bunch of stuff until finally I get:
egcs needs certain tools from the host environment, including ar, ranlib,
an assembler, etc.

You need to find out where those tools live on your system and make sure
that directory is in your path.

jeff

* Re: Install Trouble
@ 1999-06-14 11:08 ` Srivathsan Srinivasagopalan
From: Srivathsan Srinivasagopalan @ 1999-06-14 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KHumpf; +Cc: egcs

 I think the path to the 'ar' execuatble is not set. You may find it
either /usr/ccs/bin  or in /usr/xpg4/bin. Let me know what happens.

Good luck,
Srivathsan Srinivasagopalan (Vathsan Sri)

Router Management Lab			ESN:     248-6057
Nortel Networks				Ph : 978-288-6057
Billerica, MA 01821			Fax: 978-670-8145

* Re: Install Trouble
@ 1999-06-30 15:43   ` Jeffrey A Law