* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-06-11 21:48 Mark Mitchell
                   ` (8 more replies)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-06-11 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

GCC 3.0 Status Report
=====================

Timing
------

There are 4 days until the scheduled release of GCC 3.0.

Announcement
------------

As of now, *all* non-documentation patches to the GCC 3.0 release
branch must be approved by me prior to check-in, without exception.
It would still be very helpful to me if the usual reviewers would
continue review the patches.  For example, if Alexandre would review a
configury change and say "this looks correct" that will make it much
easier for me to decide what to do.

As the week goes by, I will be less and less likely to approve
changes, especially changes whose impact is not confined to a single
target.  If a bug is theoretically cross-platform, but is only
actually showing up on one chip, we can use the `#if TARGET_FOO'
around the change in generic code in order to reduce the risk.
Obviously, this is not our normal practice, but it makes sense in this
timeframe.  It is my goal to have no check-ins after Wednesday -- but
of course the point of waiting until midnight Friday will be to see if
there is anything more we need to do.  Check-ins after Wednesday are
likely to result in a slip of our ship date.

Anyone who would normally be able to approve documentation patches may
continue to do so, through the end of 14th, GMT -0800.

If there are issues that you think absolutely must be fixed before the
release, but are not yet high-priority GNATS bugs, here is what you
should do:

  1. Make sure that the bug report is filed in GNATS.  I will not
     consider any item which does not have a GNATS report.

  2. Send me an email indicating why you think this is an
     absolutely critical bug.  It *must* be a regression from
     GCC 2.95, and it must affect users in a particularly dire
     way.

     Please explicitly name me in the `To' or `Cc' fields; there
     is so much list traffic that I might otherwise miss your
     message.

Prerelease
----------

I have created new prerelease tarballs.  Remember that the actual
release will be generated by the same script; these tarballs are
designed to perform all packaging functions that will be required for
GCC 3.0.  If you find problems with the packaging, please follow the
procedures above for reporting high-priority bugs.

The new prerelease tarballs are:

  ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/gcc-3.0-20010611.tar.gz

and the similarly-named language-specific tarballs.

Please try them out.

Overview
--------

I am tremendously pleased with the number of bug reports that have
been closed since last week.  There are now only 14 remaining open
high-priority PRs, down from 68 last week.

Obviously, we have had more upheaval over the weekend, particularly in
the C++ library, than would have been ideal.  This reflects the nature
of this release, i.e., that is a release of brand new technology,
including a brand new C++ library.  It is important that everyone
remember that this is a `.0' release, and as such we must all expect
more problems than in a release that contains fewer changes.  We will
have follow-on releases in short order to fix critical bugs.

At this point, I do not anticpate delaying the release of GCC 3.0.
There is a possibility that the release will be delayed, by a matter
of a few days.  The final go/no-go decision will be based on my
perception of where we are, how much more we could achieve with very
little work, and whether or not that work would likely be
destabilizing.

Looking Forward
---------------

I am beginning to think about GCC 3.0.1 and GCC 3.1.  It is my goal to
get us, finally, on a regular schedule of quarterly major releases.  I
will present my ideas for how to achieve this to the GCC Steering
Committee this week or very early next week.  I anticipate that a
decision will be made within a couple of weeks.

Issues
------

Here is a summary of the open issues.  If you can help with any of
these please do!

CNI: Using gcj's CNI requires an explict -I switch to the compiler.
     I downgraded this PR, since that seems to be the
     consensus.  This is not a showstopper: there is a simple
     workaround.

C++: There is an apparent strict-aliasing problem on Alpha.  I will
     try to track this down today.  PR 2758.

C++: Nathan is fixing/has fixed more problems in vtable layout.
     PR3089.

EH: Loren has patches to fix EH in the presence of threading that
    need to be moved from the mainline to the branch.  PR3082.

Reload: This is PR2876.  Bernd attempted to fix this, but the
        patch broke IRIX.  We should try again.

Configury: In-source builds do not work.  Tom, are you still working
	   on this?  If not, please let me know so that someone
	   else can take it over.

ARM: There are still multiple ARM regressions from GCC 2.95.  There
     is still time to fix them -- but we must act extremely quickly.
     These are bugs 3037, 3053, 2878, and 817.

H8:  PR2866 looks like it might have a very simple fix that would
     only require tweaking the H8 configuration file.

AIX: David has elected not to fix this bug for this release.
     Hopefully, it will be fixed in 3.0.1.  PR3042.

68K: Bootstrap problem.  PR1795.  If this is not fixed soon, it
     can wait for 3.0.1.