* Failure to compile egcs-1.1.2
@ 1999-03-19  4:47 BASS David
       [not found] ` < 199903191245.NAA08072@acrux.mis.eurocontrol.be >
From: BASS David @ 1999-03-19  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

I downloaded the release version (1.1.2) "core" package and
had the following problem.

config.guess = powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.5.0

Using bash:

(from a separate build directory)

../egcs-1.1.2/configure --prefix=~user/local

CC=cc;export CC

(cc is in /usr/bin/cc)

After make bootstrap-lean and some time it gets as far as

stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -DIN_GCC -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAIFA -Wl,-bbigtoc - o
cccp cccp.o <etc>

I get an error from my binutils 2.9.1 copy of gnu ld saying "invalid BFD
target 'bigtoc'"

Which is odd because

a. I removed the location of gnu ld from my path (which ld gives
/usr/bin/ld)
   (it is however in ~user/local/bin/ld)

b. I get the same error if I specify --with-gnu-ld

I have previously installed 1.1.1 without problems.

I suspect I can work around this by moving/removing gnu ld,
but should egcs be using gnu ld when it's supposed to
find the ibm one first?

David

* Re: Failure to compile egcs-1.1.2
       [not found] ` < 199903191245.NAA08072@acrux.mis.eurocontrol.be >
@ 1999-03-19  8:22   ` David Edelsohn
       [not found]     ` < 9903191621.AA51506@marc.watson.ibm.com >
From: David Edelsohn @ 1999-03-19  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BASS David; +Cc: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

	You cannot use binutils to compile EGCS for AIX.  Binutils does
not fully support AIX 4.  Please do not specify --with-gnu-as nor
--with-gnu-ld.  Please use AIX utilities for AIX 4.  If you plan to
install the compiler in ~user/local, then ~user/local/bin would be in your
patch and that is the linker that would appear first when you invoke EGCS
after it is installed.  EGCS does not build in an absolute path to the
rest of the toolchain, regardless of how it is configured.

@ 1999-03-21 10:12       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-03-21 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: BASS David, egcs

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, David Edelsohn wrote:
> You cannot use binutils to compile EGCS for AIX.  Binutils does
> not fully support AIX 4.  Please do not specify --with-gnu-as nor
> --with-gnu-ld.  Please use AIX utilities for AIX 4.

David, would you mind adding an appropriate note to
  htdocs/install/specific.html
in our wwwdocs repository?

In general, i.e., to all port maintainers: Please feel free to add
resp. update entries concerning you ports in install/specific.html
without prior notice!

Just do the update and send the patch to egcs-patches afterwards.

Gerald

* Failure to compile egcs-1.1.2
       [not found] ` < 199903191245.NAA08072@acrux.mis.eurocontrol.be >
@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` BASS David
From: BASS David @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-03-31 23:46     ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BASS David; +Cc: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-03-31 23:46         ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: BASS David, egcs

From: BASS David @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

Removing binutils appears to have solved this problem.

it also seems that the with-gnu-<blah> was a red herring -
I misunderstood what the options were for.

Thanks again,

David

From: BASS David @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear that the same thing happened
both with and without ~user/local/bin in my path.

The odd bit to me was that the make bootstrap-lean was picking
up gnu-ld from ~user/local/bin even when I'd deliberately removed
that from the path, which I checked as "which ld" gave /usr/bin/ld,
the AIX linker.

Thanks for the fast response - the fix appears to be to delete
binutils as it is not helpful.

David

@ 1999-03-19 11:20 BASS David
From: BASS David @ 1999-03-19 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)