* egcs not automatically linking against libstdc++
@ 1999-06-12 13:26 Glenn Gebhart
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Glenn Gebhart @ 1999-06-12 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Heylo all...

A few days ago something (I have no idea what) broke on our system,
resulting in egcs ceasing to automatically link against libstc++. Attempts
to compile now die with complaints about unresolved references to symbols
like "cerr" and "cout". I have reinstalled egcs 1.1.1, and done a fresh
install of the June 8th egcs snapshot, but even after reinstalling in /usr
things are still broken. For reference we are running Solaris 2.6. If
anyone could lend a hand it would be most appreciated.

Glenn Gebhart, HMC CS Staff
http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~glenn
For PGP public key finger glenn@turing.cs.hmc.edu

* Re: egcs not automatically linking against libstdc++
@ 1999-06-12 13:44 ` Benjamin Scherrey
From: Benjamin Scherrey @ 1999-06-12 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did a sysadmin decide to rewrite your LD_LIBRARY_PATH for you without
telling anyone? I've had this happen to me before. Is libstdc++ the
only library that doesn't link or is that just the first one it gets
to thus failing before other missing symbols are discovered? The only
other think I'd consider is whether you did a "configure
--enable-shared" when you rebuilt so that your shared library support
got created.

	later & good luck,

		Ben Scherrey

@ 1999-06-12 13:52   ` Glenn Gebhart
From: Glenn Gebhart @ 1999-06-12 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> Did a sysadmin decide to rewrite your LD_LIBRARY_PATH for you without
> telling anyone? I've had this happen to me before. Is libstdc++ the
> only library that doesn't link or is that just the first one it gets
> to thus failing before other missing symbols are discovered? The only
> other think I'd consider is whether you did a "configure
> --enable-shared" when you rebuilt so that your shared library support
> got created.

No, I already considered that. I neglected to mention that if you
explicitly link against libstdc++ via "-lstdc++" the problem goes away.

@ 1999-06-12 14:02     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-06-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 12, 1999, Glenn Gebhart <glenn@cs.hmc.edu> wrote:

> No, I already considered that. I neglected to mention that if you
> explicitly link against libstdc++ via "-lstdc++" the problem goes away.

Are you really running the `g++' compiler driver, or just `gcc'?  The
latter won't automatically link with libstdc++, even though it will
compile C++ code.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}

* Re: egcs not automatically linking against libstdc++
@ 1999-06-12 14:54 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-06-12 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: glenn; +Cc: egcs

> things are still broken. For reference we are running Solaris 2.6. If
> anyone could lend a hand it would be most appreciated.

It would help a lot if you prepare a complete bug report. How did you
install the compiler? What program are you trying to compile? How do
you invoke the compile? Please do that with -v. What exact error
message does it produce?

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: egcs not automatically linking against libstdc++
@ 1999-06-12 21:40       ` Glenn Gebhart
From: Glenn Gebhart @ 1999-06-12 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Jun 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jun 12, 1999, Glenn Gebhart <glenn@cs.hmc.edu> wrote:
>
> > No, I already considered that. I neglected to mention that if you
> > explicitly link against libstdc++ via "-lstdc++" the problem goes away.
>
> Are you really running the `g++' compiler driver, or just `gcc'?  The
> latter won't automatically link with libstdc++, even though it will
> compile C++ code.

I was running gcc. Running g++ seems to have done the trick. Thank you
muchly.

Glenn Gebhart
http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~glenn
HMC CS Staff
"Have I mentioned that I hate computers?"

@ 1999-06-30 15:43 ` Glenn Gebhart

From: Glenn Gebhart @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-06-30 15:43       ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)