* How to submit patches (was: DG/UX Port Patches -- second attempt)
       [not found] <082501bea2e4$9c6b8d50$65c8c8c8@ehrpc.listworks.com>
@ 1999-06-14  8:57 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-06-14  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Raskin; +Cc: egcs

[ Moved from egcs-patches to the egcs list. ]

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Eric Raskin wrote:
> BTW, no one is clear on whether patches should be sent as attachments or
> in the message, so I've done both.  Please add this to contribute.html for
> the future.

Personally I prefer MIME attachments, as these bear the least risk of
interferences (like tab-space converions, newlines,...) from the mail
system and all modern mailers should be able to handle them most easily.

I agree that we should specify some (list of) preferences on our
contribute.html pages.

How about the following?

 1. Patches as MIME attachments
 2. Patches as plain text at the end of the mail
 3. Patches as uuencoded gzipped text at the end of the mail

Gerald

* RE: How to submit patches (was: DG/UX Port Patches -- second attempt)
@ 1999-06-14  8:59   ` Eric Raskin
From: Eric Raskin @ 1999-06-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gerald Pfeifer'; +Cc: egcs, law

Any/all are OK with me.  I just need clarification. :-)

Jeffrey, since you get most of the patches, what do you think?

  Eric

http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* Re: How to submit patches (was: DG/UX Port Patches -- second attempt)
@ 1999-06-14 23:52     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-06-14 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ehr; +Cc: 'Gerald Pfeifer', egcs

  In message < 009401beb67e$67df8930$65c8c8c8@ehrpc.listworks.com >you write:
  > Any/all are OK with me.  I just need clarification. :-)
  >
  > Jeffrey, since you get most of the patches, what do you think?
I generally prefer plaintext, unless there's a fascist mailer messing up
tabs, line breaks, etc.  After that I don't much care whether they're mime
or uuencoded gzipped text.

jeff

* Re: How to submit patches (was: DG/UX Port Patches -- second attempt)
@ 1999-06-15 11:22       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-06-15 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Jeffrey A Law, ehr

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>> Jeffrey, since you get most of the patches, what do you think?
> I generally prefer plaintext, unless there's a fascist mailer messing up
> tabs, line breaks, etc.  After that I don't much care whether they're mime
> or uuencoded gzipped text.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unless there are objections by others, I plan to add the following to the
submission notes (contribute.html):

  "We accept patches as plain text (preferred for the compilers
   themselves), MIME attachments (preferred for the web pages),
   or as uuencoded gzipped text."

@ 1999-06-30 15:43     ` Eric Raskin
From: Eric Raskin @ 1999-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gerald Pfeifer'; +Cc: egcs, law