* Re: [RFC] WHOPR - A whole program optimizer framework for GCC
@ 2007-12-12 21:15 J.C. Pizarro
From: J.C. Pizarro @ 2007-12-12 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo, gcc

On 2007/12/12, "Diego Novillo" <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> Over the last few weeks we (Google) have been discussing ideas on how to
> leverage the LTO work to implement a whole program optimizer that is
> both fast and scalable.
>
> While we do not have everything thought out in detail, we think we have
> enough to start doing some implementation work. I tried attaching the document,
> but the mailing list rejected it. I've uploaded it to
> http://airs.com/dnovillo/pub/whopr.pdf
>
> The most important goal we have with this project is the ability to
> handle Really Large programs (millions of functions, millions of
> call-graph edges) with some grace. So, the design tries pretty hard to
> make use of concurrency and clusters to partition the work.
>
> At this point we are interested in getting feedback on the general idea.
> There is some refactoring that will be needed inside the call-graph
> manager and some aspects of the design may not even need a lot of
> changes in GCC. But in general, it will require very efficient IR streaming.
>
> In terms of implementation, we will likely use the LTO branch as a
> basis. Many of the features we will need are already being implemented
> in the branch, so we will keep helping with that implementation.
>
> Thanks. Diego.

* The googlish user says
     "i'm using the massive googlecc compiler that uses a lot of tons
of libraries
      distributed in all the world!"

* google shutdown => googlecc compiler doesn't work, ended history, byebye.

   J.C.Pizarro

* [RFC] WHOPR - A whole program optimizer framework for GCC
@ 2007-12-12 20:54 Diego Novillo
                   ` (3 more replies)