* Install instructions + dejagnu suggestion
@ 1997-12-01  1:28 Lorenzo M. Catucci
From: Lorenzo M. Catucci @ 1997-12-01  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Now, at first the egcs thing: I think the instructions should contain some
hint to the
	--program-prefix
configure option, which could be useful to those who would like to have
both GNU gcc and egcs available (and was noted in some message in the
mailing list).

Then, even though I'm not sure it belongs here, the dejagnu
question/suggestion: in as much as I can see, deja runs at all from expect
scripts. Shouldn't then be possible to do some tests to see if expect and
tcl/tk have been installed on the system before the build? This comes from
bad results I got from a make check inside dejagnu build directory in a
debian system where I had both tcl/tk installed, but unrecognized... I
mean: trying to call tclsh and expect (or which tclsh, expect) could let
the install run without recompiling both interpreters.

Yours,

l.

* Re: Install instructions + dejagnu suggestion
@ 1997-12-01  7:38   ` Lorenzo M. Catucci
From: Lorenzo M. Catucci @ 1997-12-01  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   In message < Pine.LNX.3.96.971201093807.17181A-100000@argon.roma2.infn.it >you
> write:
>   > Now, at first the egcs thing: I think the instructions should contain some
>   > hint to the
>   > 	--program-prefix
>   > configure option, which could be useful to those who would like to have
>   > both GNU gcc and egcs available (and was noted in some message in the
>   > mailing list).
> We're recommending using --prefix and a few symlinks.  It avoids problems
> with g++ header file conflicts.  See the faq.

I'll try to post the dejagnu question to the right guys... And then, as
always, I forgot to write ALL what was in my mind... On my own system,
I'll do both a --prefix=/usr/local (yes, I use linux, and have gcc as the
default compiler) and a --program-prefix, to be able to call the compiler
I want from the command line, and avoid problems from different $PATH
values (sometime you have /usr/local/bin:..., some other you get
...:/usr/local/bin) I think this is more sensible than what I told, and
still useful... Only problem I envision is that I'll need to configure
--with-cc=... and so on if I want to compile with egcs.

Yours,

lorenzo

* Re: Install instructions + dejagnu suggestion
@ 1997-12-01  7:38 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-01  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lorenzo M. Catucci; +Cc: egcs

  In message < Pine.LNX.3.96.971201093807.17181A-100000@argon.roma2.infn.it >you
write:
  > Now, at first the egcs thing: I think the instructions should contain some
  > hint to the
  > 	--program-prefix
  > configure option, which could be useful to those who would like to have
  > both GNU gcc and egcs available (and was noted in some message in the
  > mailing list).
We're recommending using --prefix and a few symlinks.  It avoids problems
with g++ header file conflicts.  See the faq.

  > Then, even though I'm not sure it belongs here, the dejagnu
  > question/suggestion: in as much as I can see, deja runs at all from expect
  > scripts. Shouldn't then be possible to do some tests to see if expect and
  > tcl/tk have been installed on the system before the build? This comes from
  > bad results I got from a make check inside dejagnu build directory in a
  > debian system where I had both tcl/tk installed, but unrecognized... I
  > mean: trying to call tclsh and expect (or which tclsh, expect) could let
  > the install run without recompiling both interpreters.
This is outside the scope of egcs -- we really don't want to any more time in
burn time in dejagnu than is absolutely necessary.

You might take this up with the dejagnu folks though....  dejagnu@cygnus.com

jeff