* More problems on Alpha
@ 1997-12-20 14:26 Dave Gilbert
From: Dave Gilbert @ 1997-12-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi,
  When EGCS-971215 configures by default it gets my system as :
alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu; unofrtunatly it then fails to build with the
Error: macro requires $at register while noat in effect
problem (even in binutils-2.8.1.0.15).

  Another problem I had was that compiling some of my own code I got:
'string too long' from the assembler; it turned out to be a string over 4K
in length from a .stabs directive describing a rbtree from the Standard
Template Library.  Is this an EGCS or binutils problem?

Dave

P.S. kde is now built and seems to be OK - but the web browser is being a
little tempremental.

---------------------------------------------------- Man can not live  -
 Dr. David Alan Gilbert - gro.gilbert @ treblig.org  by bread alone. He-
---------------------------------------------------- needs chocolate.  -

* Re: More problems on Alpha
@ 1997-12-30  0:09 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1997-12-30  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Gilbert; +Cc: egcs

On Sat, Dec 20, 1997 at 10:16:13PM +0000, Dave Gilbert wrote:
>   When EGCS-971215 configures by default it gets my system as :
> alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu; unofrtunatly it then fails to build with the
> Error: macro requires $at register while noat in effect
> problem (even in binutils-2.8.1.0.15).

I don't know whether this problem is due to a bug in as or failing
to give as the proper command line option to enable the instructions.
However, with the 971225 snapshot, we now emit a .arch directive, which
will certainly cure the later, and, due to the fact that you must
upgrade to at least 2.8.1.0.18, perhaps the former as well.

>   Another problem I had was that compiling some of my own code I got:
> 'string too long' from the assembler; it turned out to be a string over 4K
> in length from a .stabs directive describing a rbtree from the Standard
> Template Library.  Is this an EGCS or binutils problem?

This is an assembler problem.  Which I thought I'd fixed (or kludged
around) long ago...  If it still happens after your binutils upgrade,
let me know.

r~

* Re: More problems on Alpha
@ 1997-12-30  1:29   ` Dave Gilbert
From: Dave Gilbert @ 1997-12-30  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: egcs

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Richard Henderson wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 20, 1997 at 10:16:13PM +0000, Dave Gilbert wrote:

> I don't know whether this problem is due to a bug in as or failing
> to give as the proper command line option to enable the instructions.
> However, with the 971225 snapshot, we now emit a .arch directive, which
> will certainly cure the later, and, due to the fact that you must
> upgrade to at least 2.8.1.0.18, perhaps the former as well.

As stated in my mail to another list; 2.8.1.0.18 now fixes this.

> >   Another problem I had was that compiling some of my own code I got:
> > 'string too long' from the assembler; it turned out to be a string over 4K
> > in length from a .stabs directive describing a rbtree from the Standard
> > Template Library.  Is this an EGCS or binutils problem?
>
> This is an assembler problem.  Which I thought I'd fixed (or kludged
> around) long ago...  If it still happens after your binutils upgrade,
> let me know.

Yep - I've just tried my code - 2.8.1.0.18 fixes that as well!

Great work!

Dave