* Re: KDE and egcs
       [not found] <98050208034900.06447@belvdere>
@ 1998-05-02 10:47 ` casero
From: casero @ 1998-05-02 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David E. Fox; +Cc: kde-user, egcs

I have already done that.  I have kdesupport and kdelibs installed on my
box when I try to compile kdebase. I have compiled the Qt libs from
scratch using egcs-1.02 and installed them.  I don''t know exactly where
the problem is.  egcs-1.02 is supposed to come with its own copy of
libstdc++ but it is not immediately obvious where those libraries are.  So
am in a rather complex predicament that I don't know how to solve.  I need
egcs cuz the standard c++ compiler that comes with redhat 5.0 is buggy.
However, when I installed egcs now suddenly my old window manager breaks
and does not want to work properly even with a recompile.  So I am forced
toresort to something like fvwm2 which seems to work well but is not very
aesthetically pleasing.  In an effort to create a functional and
attractive desktop I decided to install KDE but now I learn that some
packages in KDE wont compile while others do.  So right now I am stuck in
th hole.  In fact this whole affair has become so frustrating that I have
considered installing Solaris 2.6 x86 on my box and removing Linux
altogether.  The ultimtate end of a computer should be to make my work
easier and not to create more work for me.

Juan Casero
email:  casero@beowulf.cox.miami.edu
   __   _
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a
/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\              G N U   g e n e r a t i o n . . .

On Sat, 2 May 1998, David E. Fox wrote:

> On Fri, 01 May 1998,  wrote:
> >Hi -
> >
> >I am having great difficulty compiling the kde base libs.  Here is the
> >error
>
> You should try compiling kdesupport and installing it before you compile
> kdebase.
>
> >Juan Casero
> >email:  casero@beowulf.cox.miami.edu
> >   __   _
> >  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
> > / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a
> >/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\              G N U   g e n e r a t i o n . . .
>
> --
> David E. Fox                 Tax              Thanks for letting me
> dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com   the              change magnetic patterns
> root@belvedere.sbay.org      churches         on your hard disk.

* Re: KDE and egcs
@ 1998-05-02 18:56   ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1998-05-02 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casero; +Cc: dfox, kde-user, egcs

> I have already done that.  I have kdesupport and kdelibs installed on my
> box when I try to compile kdebase. I have compiled the Qt libs from
> scratch using egcs-1.02 and installed them.  I don''t know exactly where
> the problem is.  egcs-1.02 is supposed to come with its own copy of
> libstdc++ but it is not immediately obvious where those libraries are.  So
> am in a rather complex predicament that I don't know how to solve.  I need

You did even mention how you configured/installed egcs on RedHat 5.0.

> egcs cuz the standard c++ compiler that comes with redhat 5.0 is buggy.

I have warned many months ago that the current default configuration
for egcs might cause problems for people on Linux who want to install
egcs as their default compiler. The default Linux configuration in
egcs 1.0.2 was not designed to be used as the default compiler. You
may run into the problem I have warned before.

> However, when I installed egcs now suddenly my old window manager breaks

You need to give more details on your problem.

> and does not want to work properly even with a recompile.  So I am forced
> toresort to something like fvwm2 which seems to work well but is not very
> aesthetically pleasing.  In an effort to create a functional and

I have no problem to compile fvwm2 on RH 5.0 with egcs 1.0.2.

> attractive desktop I decided to install KDE but now I learn that some
> packages in KDE wont compile while others do.  So right now I am stuck in
> th hole.  In fact this whole affair has become so frustrating that I have
> considered installing Solaris 2.6 x86 on my box and removing Linux
> altogether.  The ultimtate end of a computer should be to make my work

I have make egcs 1.0.2 linux/x86 binaries avaialable. Please check
out

ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC

Please do read my release note. If you want to install it, you should
remove ALL your previous egcs 1.0.2 from your system.

BTW, I will also make egcs 1.0.3 linux/x86 binaries when it is released
to public.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* Re: KDE and egcs
@ 1998-05-02 18:56     ` Juan Casero
From: Juan Casero @ 1998-05-02 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu; +Cc: casero, dfox, kde-user, egcs

Hi H.J. -

Thank you for your offer to help.  After I installed libstdc++-2.8.0
everything worked out.  I was a little confused at first because the egcs
developers mention that the standard c++ libraries come with the compiler
but apparently those who created the RPM binaries I used to install egcs
on my system did not include the libraries by default so I had to fetch
them from the same place and install them.  So far I have successfully
compiled kdebase, kdelibs, kdesupport, kdegames, kdegraphics, and am
currently working on kdenetwork and the rest of the packages.

I had no choice but to use egcs.  I have recently purchased SWiM motif 2.1
binaries compiled with the stock compiler that comes as part of RedHat
5.0.  All of the code I compiled which used motif was not behaving
correctly.  There were lots of problems with seg faults and file
filtering...etc. For two months I badgered the motif support personnel at
LSL regarding the problems.  They finally figured out that the
c++ compiler in gcc-2.7.2.1 that comes stock with redhat 5.0 was not
generating the correct code.  They sent me via email new binaries compiled
with egcs-1.02.  I installed this compiler on my system and suddenly
the programs I have that make use of the motif shared libs are working
great.  I recompiled my kernel with egcs and recompiled WindowMaker 0.14.1
also but I noticed that WindowMaker became exceedingly sluggish.  It
worked but performance was very poor.  I decided to move to fvwm 2.0.46
that came with RedHat 5.0 until I could find another solution.  I hope I
will not have similar problems with KDE but I have to wait and see.  If
KDE works well with my box such as it is then I will forego WindowMaker
altogether.  GNUStep is nice but right now it is developing slowly.  KDE
seems to be progressing much faster so I guess I'll just move over to it.

Would you consider making the egcs-1.03 release available as a binary RPM?
For some reason I still have gotten around to figuring out how to create
SPEC files and source RPMs on my redhat box.  Compiling a source RPM is a
piece of cake if you have a working compiler.

Thanks..........

On Sat, 2 May 1998, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > I have already done that.  I have kdesupport and kdelibs installed on my
> > box when I try to compile kdebase. I have compiled the Qt libs from
> > scratch using egcs-1.02 and installed them.  I don''t know exactly where
> > the problem is.  egcs-1.02 is supposed to come with its own copy of
> > libstdc++ but it is not immediately obvious where those libraries are.  So
> > am in a rather complex predicament that I don't know how to solve.  I need
>
> You did even mention how you configured/installed egcs on RedHat 5.0.
>
> > egcs cuz the standard c++ compiler that comes with redhat 5.0 is buggy.
>
> I have warned many months ago that the current default configuration
> for egcs might cause problems for people on Linux who want to install
> egcs as their default compiler. The default Linux configuration in
> egcs 1.0.2 was not designed to be used as the default compiler. You
> may run into the problem I have warned before.
>
> > However, when I installed egcs now suddenly my old window manager breaks
>
> You need to give more details on your problem.
>
> > and does not want to work properly even with a recompile.  So I am forced
> > toresort to something like fvwm2 which seems to work well but is not very
> > aesthetically pleasing.  In an effort to create a functional and
>
> I have no problem to compile fvwm2 on RH 5.0 with egcs 1.0.2.
>
> > attractive desktop I decided to install KDE but now I learn that some
> > packages in KDE wont compile while others do.  So right now I am stuck in
> > th hole.  In fact this whole affair has become so frustrating that I have
> > considered installing Solaris 2.6 x86 on my box and removing Linux
> > altogether.  The ultimtate end of a computer should be to make my work
>

> I have make egcs 1.0.2 linux/x86 binaries avaialable. Please check
> out
>
> ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC
>
> Please do read my release note. If you want to install it, you should
> remove ALL your previous egcs 1.0.2 from your system.
>
> BTW, I will also make egcs 1.0.3 linux/x86 binaries when it is released
> to public.
>

> --
> H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* KDE and egcs
@ 1998-05-01 21:25 casero
From: casero @ 1998-05-01 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin; +Cc: linux-x11, egcs, kde-user

Hi -

I am having great difficulty compiling the kde base libs.  Here is the
error

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link g++ -O2 -Wall -s -o kdehelp  main.o helpwin.o info.o error.o misc.o options.o man.o bookmark.o cgi.o mainwidget.o history.o booktoken.o -L/opt/kde/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lkfile -lkfm -lkhtmlw -ljscript -lkdeui -lkdecore -lqt
-lXext -lX11   -ljpeg -rpath /opt/kde/lib -rpath /usr/X11R6/lib -ldl
g++ -O2 -Wall -s -o kdehelp main.o helpwin.o info.o error.o misc.o options.o man.o bookmark.o cgi.o mainwidget.o history.o booktoken.o -L/opt/kde/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lkfile -lkfm -lkhtmlw -ljscript -lkdeui -lkdecore -lqt -lXext -lX11 -ljpeg -ldl -Wl,--r
path -Wl,/opt/kde/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib
info.o: In function `cIndirectList::Read(char const *)':
info.o(.text+0x9f): undefined reference to `ios virtual table'
info.o(.text+0x103): undefined reference to `istream::ios virtual table'
info.o(.text+0x11d): undefined reference to `ifstream::ios virtual table'
info.o: In function `cTagTable::Read(char const *)':
info.o(.text+0x4b1): undefined reference to `ios virtual table'
info.o(.text+0x505): undefined reference to `istream::ios virtual table'
info.o(.text+0x51f): undefined reference to `ifstream::ios virtual table'
info.o: In function `cTagTable::CreateTable(char const *)':
info.o(.text+0x7c5): undefined reference to `ios virtual table'
info.o(.text+0x80b): undefined reference to `istream::ios virtual table'
info.o(.text+0x81f): undefined reference to `ifstream::ios virtual table'
info.o: In function `cNode::Read(char const *, int)':
info.o(.text+0x198e): undefined reference to `ios virtual table'
info.o(.text+0x19f5): undefined reference to `istream::ios virtual table'
info.o(.text+0x1a0c): undefined reference to `ifstream::ios virtual table'
man.o: In function `cMan::ReadLocation(char const *)':
man.o(.text+0x1ab3): undefined reference to `ios virtual table'
man.o(.text+0x1b1d): undefined reference to `istream::ios virtual table'
man.o(.text+0x1b34): undefined reference to `ifstream::ios virtual table'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [kdehelp] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kdebase/kdehelp'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kdebase'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
Bad exit status

Someone please HELLLPPPPPP......

@ 1998-05-01 19:37 Juan Casero
From: Juan Casero @ 1998-05-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kde-user-request; +Cc: egcs

Hi Folks -

I am having problems compiling KDE Beta 4 on my RedHat 5.0 Linux box
using egcs.  I send as an attachment to this note the error message I
got during the build.  Could someone please help me with this?  I am
getting rather frustrated.  I should also note that compiling the Data
Display Debugger  2.2.3 gives me similar messages which leads me to
suspect something is amiss with my compiler setup.

Thanks......