* Top level configure unsupported targets
@ 2001-11-21 13:53 Richard Kenner
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Does this look correct:

Configuring for a alphaev56-dec-osf4.0c host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava target-libchill

* Re: Top level configure unsupported targets
@ 2001-11-21 13:56 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2001-11-21 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

|> Does this look correct:
|>
|> Configuring for a alphaev56-dec-osf4.0c host.
|> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
|>      target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava target-libchill

It depends on the --enable-languages option.  If you didn't enable java
and chill then this is correct.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
Andreas.Schwab@suse.de				completely different."

* Re: Top level configure unsupported targets
@ 2001-11-21 13:56 ` Andreas Jaeger
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2001-11-21 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

> Does this look correct:
>
> Configuring for a alphaev56-dec-osf4.0c host.
> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>      target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava target-libchill

libchill is correct.  The rest are java and its support libraries.  On
Linux those are supported but apprently not everywhere.  The top level
configure.in disables them via:

  alpha*-dec-osf*)
    # ld works, but does not support shared libraries.  emacs doesn't
    # work.  newlib is not 64 bit ready.  I'm not sure about fileutils.
    # gas doesn't generate exception information.
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs gas ld emacs fileutils target-newlib target-libgloss ${libgcj}"
    ;;

I don't rember what needs to be done to enable the libgcj libraries
but with that line in configure.in your output is correct.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de

* Re: Top level configure unsupported targets
@ 2001-11-21 14:14 ` Jeff Sturm
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-11-21 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Richard Kenner wrote:
> Configuring for a alphaev56-dec-osf4.0c host.
> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>      target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava target-libchill

Libgcj is currently broken on Tru64, so it is explicitly disabled.

Rainer Orth contributed a patch for this some time ago (unfortunately
it is not yet reviewed, even after posting several reminders to the list).

Jeff

* Re: Top level configure unsupported targets
@ 2001-11-21 14:40   ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2001-11-21 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sturm; +Cc: Richard Kenner, gcc

Jeff Sturm wrote:

> Rainer Orth contributed a patch for this some time ago (unfortunately
> it is not yet reviewed, even after posting several reminders to the list).

It's really important that these patches be dealt with.   History tells us that
it's important to get the major middle-end hackers to the point where they can
bootstrap with gcj.

AG

* Re: Top level configure unsupported targets
@ 2001-11-21 15:02   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-11-21 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sturm; +Cc: Richard Kenner, gcc

Jeff> Rainer Orth contributed a patch for this some time ago
Jeff> (unfortunately it is not yet reviewed, even after posting
Jeff> several reminders to the list).

Jeff> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-09/msg01218.html

Actually, this got approved a couple days ago.
Rainer checked the patches in.
I think he'll be submitting a patch to enable Java on this platform.

Tom

* Re: Top level configure unsupported targets
@ 2001-11-21 15:18     ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-11-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Richard Kenner, gcc

On 29 Nov 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Jeff> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-09/msg01218.html
>
> Actually, this got approved a couple days ago.
> Rainer checked the patches in.

Ah yes.  Sorry for the alarm; I had completely missed the approval
message.  (Thanks Geoff!)

Jeff

* Top level configure unsupported targets
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-11-29  5:02 ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-29  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2001-11-29  5:14   ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2001-11-29  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-11-29  5:26   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2001-11-29  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-11-29  6:03   ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-11-29  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-11-29  6:53     ` Anthony Green
From: Anthony Green @ 2001-11-29  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sturm; +Cc: Richard Kenner, gcc

@ 2001-11-29  7:52     ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2001-11-29  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sturm; +Cc: Richard Kenner, gcc

@ 2001-11-29  8:11       ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-11-29  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Richard Kenner, gcc

@ 2001-11-29  6:12   ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2001-11-29  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: schwab, gcc

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

>     |> Configuring for a alphaev56-dec-osf4.0c host.
>     |> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>     |>      target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava target-libchill
>
>     It depends on the --enable-languages option.  If you didn't enable java
>     and chill then this is correct.
>
> I let it default, which I think enables Java, but not Chill.
>
> It looks like the Java libraries are not yet supported on my target.

They are now: I checked in the last of my patches to enable this a few days
ago:

We have reports that it works on Tru64 UNIX V4.0F, V5.0 and V5.1.  We
probably should enable it by default on the trunk; I'll propose a patch
shortly.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

Email: ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE

* Re: Top level configure unsupported targets
@ 2001-11-29  5:41 ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-11-29  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schwab; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-11-21 14:22 ` Rainer Orth