* Gcc-2.95.1 and LessTif
@ 1999-09-15 13:22 Alex Buell
From: Alex Buell @ 1999-09-15 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

[Argh. Sending to egcs@cygnus bounced]

[x-posted to both LessTiff *and* GCC mailing list in the hope someone has
seen this problem and knows the solution otherwise I'll go shoot myself!]

I've been investigating a very strange problem with gcc-2.95.1 using
LessTif.

Recently I compiled & installed gcc-2.95.1 (from 2.95.0 which worked fine
with LessTif previously - see later on) on my Linux 2.2.12 machine, and a
while later downloaded and installed LessTif 0.88.9. It soon became
apparent that three of my Motif applications would core-dump.

1) DDD (a debugger that uses Motif) coredump immediately on start-up.

2) A small Motif application that I wrote myself works fine but coredumps
immediately if I select the help menu and click on "About Author".

3) One of the sample programs (motifshell) provided with the original
Motif (We use Motif 1.2 at work) exhibits the same behaviour as item 2. It
also coredumps when one selects the Font menu and clicks on "Load". I have
not tried the other Motif demos yet.

I tried LessTif 0.89.0, recompiling gcc-2.95.1, recompiling binutils
2.9.1.025, recompiling gcc-2.95.1, recompiling ddd, in short recompiling
all the sources involved in this strange problem. The problem still exist!
:o(

However, I decided to peruse the LessTif website for more information and
came across the "-sync" option. To my surprise, this solved the coredump
problem for both my motif application and the motifshell application. It
had no effect on the DDD debugger though - still coredumps immediately.

System configuration is:

Linux kernel	2.2.12
glibc library	2.1.2
binutils tools	2.9.1.0.25
gcc compiler	2.95.1

Is there any information I should supply? I'm at my wits' ends to solve
this problem! The box is a dual Pentium Pro 166 with 256MB of memory.

LessTif boys - Question: Re the "-sync", what exactly does this option do?
The info on the LessTif site was less than explanatory.

Cheers,
Alex
--

Legalise cannabis today!