From: Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk>
To: "Timothy J. Wood" <tjw@omnigroup.com>
Cc: "Andrea 'fwyzard' Bocci" <fwyzard@inwind.it>,
	Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de>,
	gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: [3.2/3.3/HEAD] shared libobjc not built
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 00:01:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> > Hmmm ... I suspected to have originally wrote/submitted the lines
> >
> > # Disable shared libs by default
> > AC_DISABLE_SHARED
>

>    For what it's worth, I know that there were problems building shared
> objc in MinGW.  Maybe this came from there?
>
>    (I'd sure love it if libobjc worked as a shlib on MinGW, though :)

Thanks - 'problems building shared objc in MinGW' - do you mean it doesn't
compile, or just that once you've compiled it, it's quite useless ?

Because I don't use windows, but on GNUstep's instructions for MinGW I
find -

"It's a good idea to remove the libobjc.a and include/objc header that
come with gcc (gcc -v for location) so that they are not accidentally
found instead of the libobjc DLL that you will compile below."

and I've heard this repeated on mailing lists quite often, so I suspect
building libobjc as static on MinGW is not really a solution either, as it
seems a libobjc.a on MinGW is not really a usable thing :-) [I think the
problem starts when people build all other libraries as DLLs, and mixing
DLLs and static libs doesn't seem a good thing ... well I don't really
know, but that's what I heard].

The 'libobjc DLL that you will compile below.' is of course built from
GNUstep's separate maintained version of libobjc, which can be built and
used out-of-the-box as a DLL on MinGW.

I suppose what we'd really want then is to fix building the libobjc
shipped with GCC as a DLL on MinGW.  :-)

I don't have the time to work on this.