* i18n
@ 2000-11-13  9:03 Dennis Bjorklund
From: Dennis Bjorklund @ 2000-11-13  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi!

I've tried to create a swedish translation of cvs-gcc but I have
some problems:

* xgettext is called with the flag "--defines" which does not
  exist in my xgettext. And I use getttext 0.10.35 which is
  the latest released version.

  But I solved this for now by removing "--defines". And it
  looked like it worked at least.

* After I have created the sv.gmo file I copied it to
  {prefix}/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo but it didn't
  work. I still get no swedish output.

  So I ran the compiler with ltrace and saw that it did call
  bindtextdomain() and other initialize functions but it
  never called any gettext() functions. That's a bit strange..

  I have installed this version under /opt/gcc/ since I have
  my normal version of gcc in /usr and i don't want to destroy
  that one. Can this be the problem. What do I need to do
  to run an other copy off gcc in my system. Do I have to
  change my PATH and stuff when I run it or will it understand
  that gcc in /opt/gcc should use the other files under /opt/gcc.

Any suggestions are helpfull.

--
/Dennis

* Re: i18n
@ 2000-11-13  9:10 ` Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2000-11-13  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Bjorklund; +Cc: gcc

 > Hi!
 > I've tried to create a swedish translation of cvs-gcc but I have
 > some problems:

 > * xgettext is called with the flag "--defines" which does not
 >   exist in my xgettext. And I use getttext 0.10.35 which is
 >   the latest released version.
You should use the version from CVS, this is documented in the CVS
version of GCC in the file ABOUT-GCC-NLS.

 >   But I solved this for now by removing "--defines". And it
 >   looked like it worked at least.

 > * After I have created the sv.gmo file I copied it to
 >   {prefix}/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo but it didn't
 >   work. I still get no swedish output.

 >   So I ran the compiler with ltrace and saw that it did call
 >   bindtextdomain() and other initialize functions but it
 >   never called any gettext() functions. That's a bit strange..
Did you use --enable-nls when configuring?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de

* Re: i18n
@ 2000-11-13  9:21   ` Dennis Bjorklund
From: Dennis Bjorklund @ 2000-11-13  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: gcc

On 13 Nov 2000, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Did you use --enable-nls when configuring?

Nope. But since it installed the en_GB files I assumed that it worked and
compiled as it should. It also does call the textdomain() and such in the
beginning as I saw when trying with ltrace.

But I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

--
/Dennis

* Re: i18n
@ 2000-11-13 11:01   ` Dennis Bjorklund
From: Dennis Bjorklund @ 2000-11-13 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: gcc

On 13 Nov 2000, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Did you use --enable-nls when configuring?

I rebuilt it all with --enable-nls but it's still the same as before. I
can't get it to produce translated messages.

Anyone that can help me?

As I said. I have installed the cvs gcc in /opt/gcc and then I just call
/opt/gcc/bin/gcc in hope that this should work. I still have my old gcc
installed in /usr. Maybe there is a conflict?

Should it be possible to run it as I have done above?

--
/Dennis

* Gcc and message catalogs
@ 2000-11-14  7:01 ` Philipp Thomas
From: Philipp Thomas @ 2000-11-14  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Bjorklund; +Cc: gcc

* Dennis Bjorklund (db@zigo.dhs.org) [20001113 18:07]:

> I've tried to create a swedish translation of cvs-gcc but I have
> some problems:

As I'm maintaining that part of GCC, I'll try to answer your questions.

> * xgettext is called with the flag "--defines" which does not
>   exist in my xgettext. And I use getttext 0.10.35 which is
>   the latest released version.

As Andreas told you already, you need the current CVS version of the gettext
tools (URL in gcc/ABOUT-GCC-NLS).

>   But I solved this for now by removing "--defines". And it
>   looked like it worked at least.

No, it only seems to work :) What is missing from the master catalog are the
help texts defined in platform specific headers (TARGET_SWITCHES and
TARGET_OPTIONS).

> * After I have created the sv.gmo file I copied it to
>   {prefix}/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo but it didn't
>   work. I still get no swedish output.

To just iron out possible problems, I'd advise a different approach:

  - put sv.po in gcc/po

  - edit gcc/configure.in and add sv to the variable ALL_LINGUAS, i.e.
    it would look like this:
    ALL_LINGUAS="en_GB sv"

  - recreate configure by calling autoconf.

  - configure gcc normally.

Now sv.gmo should be built automatically and 'make install' will install it
where gcc expects it to be.

>   So I ran the compiler with ltrace and saw that it did call
>   bindtextdomain() and other initialize functions but it
>   never called any gettext() functions. That's a bit strange..

What is LANG set to?

>   I have installed this version under /opt/gcc/ since I have
>   my normal version of gcc in /usr.

If you either call it as /opt/gcc/bin/gcc or have /opt/gcc/bin preceeding
/usr/bin in PATH, you will get the right one.

Philipp

--
Philipp Thomas <pthomas@suse.de>
Development, SuSE GmbH, Schanzaecker Str. 10, D-90443 Nuremberg, Germany

Penguins shall save the dinosaurs
                          -- Handelsblatt about Linux on S/390

* Re: Gcc and message catalogs
@ 2000-11-14 12:01   ` Dennis Bjorklund
From: Dennis Bjorklund @ 2000-11-14 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Thomas; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Philipp Thomas wrote:

> As Andreas told you already, you need the current CVS version of the gettext
> tools (URL in gcc/ABOUT-GCC-NLS).

Well, I did get the gettext from cvs as it said in that file, compiled it.
But still, xgettext does not accept "--defines" as a flag.

Maybe the cvs adress that is in that file is wrong:

:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/gettext

The gettext I got there does not understand this new flag.

It's not my day today ;-)

--
/Dennis

* Re: Gcc and message catalogs
@ 2000-11-15  2:22     ` Philipp Thomas
From: Philipp Thomas @ 2000-11-15  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Bjorklund; +Cc: gcc

* Dennis Bjorklund (db@zigo.dhs.org) [20001114 22:04]:

> Well, I did get the gettext from cvs as it said in that file, compiled it.
> But still, xgettext does not accept "--defines" as a flag.

Oops, that's my fault :( The CVS gettext does look into #define by default,
so the switch isn't needed. You should see that for instance the help texts
from gcc/config/i386/i386.h for TARGET_SWITCHES do turn up in gcc.pot.

I totally forgot to make that change in the gcc CVS. I'll fix that when I'm
back at work. Sorry again.

Philipp