* Is there available GCC manual formatted as .PS or .PDF?
@ 2001-06-05  1:37 Alexei Lioubimov
From: Alexei Lioubimov @ 2001-06-05  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello Gcc team.
I'm new comer to gcc and want to download the manual in PS or PDF format (to
print one). Is it available somewhere?

Thank you,
Alexei Lioubimov

* Re: Is there available GCC manual formatted as .PS or .PDF?
@ 2001-06-05 15:16 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-06-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexei Lioubimov; +Cc: gcc

On Jun  5, 2001, "Alexei Lioubimov" <e-complex@mtu-net.ru> wrote:

> I'm new comer to gcc and want to download the manual in PS or PDF format (to
> print one). Is it available somewhere?

I don't think so.  But you can download the sources and build the PS
manual yourself with `make dvi' then `dvips'.  Or you can order
printed copies from the FSF.

* Re: Is there available GCC manual formatted as .PS or .PDF?
@ 2001-06-05 15:29   ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-06-05 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: Alexei Lioubimov, gcc

On 5 Jun 2001, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jun  5, 2001, "Alexei Lioubimov" <e-complex@mtu-net.ru> wrote:
>
> > I'm new comer to gcc and want to download the manual in PS or PDF format (to
> > print one). Is it available somewhere?
>
> I don't think so.  But you can download the sources and build the PS
> manual yourself with `make dvi' then `dvips'.  Or you can order
> printed copies from the FSF.

You can download http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc.ps.gz - but this isn't
guaranteed to stay around and isn't linked to from anywhere, since my
patch to update_web_docs to generate it is awaiting review, so that file
is just what's left from my testing of my patch.  (If the patch is
approved, I'd also create downloadable PostScript manuals for 2.95.[23],
and 3.0 when it comes out.)

This manual version is 604 pages, 1Mbyte in compressed form and is for
mainline, not for 3.0 or any release.  I don't know exactly what paper
size it is for; making your own has the advantage you can configure
Texinfo for local paper sizes, adjust tolerances to reduce the number of
over-/under-full hboxes, etc..

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk