* Re: spelling
@ 2001-10-09 23:55 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-10-09 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalej, jbuck; +Cc: gcc

<<These things have a way of turning into petty wars.  But if we must
choose: Since the original gcc manual is by RMS, it seems reasonable
follow the style he established and therefore choose the American
spellings: -ize not -ise, -or not -our etc.

Note that -ize is also preferred by the OED (which in fact does not permit
the ise form, although it is in common use in England, and for sure would
be considered standard in Australia). The gcc document should most certainly
use American spellings in all cases, and definitely in this case, so we should
standardize on "ize" (I must say I have never seen standardise :-)

* Re: spelling
@ 2001-10-10  5:21 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-10-10  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> Note that -ize is also preferred by the OED (which in fact does not permit
> the ise form, although it is in common use in England, and for sure would

The OED's business is not to "permit" anything, but to describe language
as it is used/understood/perceived (and the quotations tend to use both
spellings, without discriminating them as separate words).

OED Online has a FAQ entry "Why can't I find the entry for ORGANISE?"
( http://dictionary.oed.com/help/Technicalities/faq.htm but I don't know
whether it is accessible to non-subscribers).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: spelling
@ 2001-10-10  2:37 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-10-10  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Johannesen; +Cc: gcc

Dale Johannesen <dalej@apple.com> writes:

> As long as we [i.e. Joseph Myers] are fixing this, do we want to establish
> consistent spellings for "initializ/se" and "optimiz/se"?  Both variants
> occur in the sources.  There are probably others.  (I know, this is a case
> for i18n, but it's not there.)

Fowler suggets that the '-s-' is the consequence of gallofication,
and recommends using the '-ize' variants were possible (usually
if the word is of remote Greek descent).  Of course, some kind of
verbing disease exists, and sometimes, '-ize' is used in this context,
although it should be avoided.

* Re: spelling
@ 2001-10-09 19:00 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2001-10-09 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Johannesen; +Cc: gcc

> As long as we [i.e. Joseph Myers] are fixing this, do we want to establish
> consistent spellings for "initializ/se" and "optimiz/se"?  Both variants
> occur in the sources.  There are probably others.  (I know, this is a case
> for i18n, but it's not there.)

These things have a way of turning into petty wars.  But if we must
choose: Since the original gcc manual is by RMS, it seems reasonable
follow the style he established and therefore choose the American
spellings: -ize not -ise, -or not -our etc.

(Ideally in cases where the UK and US spellings differ for a command line
switch, the compiler would accept both to minimize user frustration).

* spelling
@ 2001-10-09 17:01 Dale Johannesen