From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <guerby@acm.org>
Cc: <zack@codesourcery.com>,  <bosch@gnat.com>,  <minyard@acm.org>,
	 <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Ada build now requires gnatmake?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:51:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 guerby@acm.org wrote:

> > I thought that the generated files were now mentioned in
> > contrib/gcc_update, so if you update with that or use contrib/gcc_update
> > --touch after updating you shouldn't see the problem.
>
> You'll get not-in-synch generated files, so you'll probably either
> won't be able to build or build a non-functional compiler. It is my
> understanding that gcc_update is intended just to make sure timestamp
> are rights before making a release tarball, but it can't make sure
> sources are right :).

gcc_update --touch works on the following basis:

* People checking in source files will check in files generated from them
if there are any changes to the generated file (many changes to the source
file may not cause such changes, in some cases), but CVS updates or
applying patches might have left the timestamps in the wrong order even
though the files are in fact up to date.

* When a generated file is removed from CVS, it is also removed from
gcc_update (otherwise it does indeed get touched wrongly and stay out of
date).

If, for example, "autoconf" on your PATH is 2.5x rather than 2.13, you
need to use gcc_update or you'll get breakage from bogus attempts to
regenerate configure scripts with a too-recent version.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk