* A testcase library
@ 2002-12-20  8:12 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2002-12-20  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: bangerth, janis187, ehrhardt

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/plain, Size: 697 bytes --]

Since GNATS has its limitations with respect to searching for relevant
information about testcases, I started collecting *small* testcases
for easy grepping. Until now, I've collected (with the help of
Wolfgang and of course the submitters) more than 200 of such testcases.

Maybe the testcase library is useful for other bug-hunters, so here it
is. I also wrote a little script that helps me keeping track of the
information. Maybe that is of interest, too. The library and the script
come with a small Readme, which you might want to read first.

Comments and testcases for inclusion in the library are welcome.
If this is of interest I could post the updated stuff regularly.

Regards,
Volker

[-- Attachment #2: TestCases.zip --]
[-- Type: APPLICATION/octet-stream, Size: 73424 bytes --]

* Re: A testcase library
@ 2002-12-23 18:08 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2002-12-23 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mstump; +Cc: gcc

    :-( I think people have a hard enough time with expected and
    unexpected, now we have to add known.  I think it is a bad idea.  Do
    we also have unexpected known failure, and expected unknown pass?

I agree.

Indeed can somebody explain what the diffence is between an "expected"
failure and a "known" failure?  Intuitively, they sound the same to me.

* Re: A testcase library
@ 2002-12-23 18:42 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2002-12-23 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow; +Cc: gcc

    Suppose that GDB is debugging a program, and the information it needs
    is simply missing from the debug info.  Zilch, nada, absolutely no way
    to recover it.  That's an XFAIL.

    Suppose that a testcase is for a new bug that no one's figured out how
    to fix yet.  That's a KFAIL.  All KFAILs are required to have an open PR
    associated with them, at least in GDB-land.

    The difference, in theory, is that KFAILs represent real problems that
    have not been fixed; and XFAILs represent "expected" failures, problems
    in the system or tools that can not be fixed in the program-under-test.

I still don't get it.  Your first example sounds like something that's not
a bug at all, in which case why would the "test case" still be in the suite?