* specs info missing on trunk?
@ 2002-12-18 15:21 Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2002-12-18 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC

Is this intended to be so?
[andreas@pm8600 objdir]$ ./gcc/xgcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with:
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4 20021217 (experimental)

I miss the configured with  part?

Andreas

* Re: specs info missing on trunk?
@ 2002-12-18 22:55 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-12-18 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Tobler; +Cc: GCC

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 10:19:34PM +0100, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Is this intended to be so?
> [andreas@pm8600 objdir]$ ./gcc/xgcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Configured with:
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4 20021217 (experimental)
>
> I miss the configured with  part?

It's there on the 16th, missing on the 17th.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: specs info missing on trunk?
@ 2002-12-23 12:04 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-12-23 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Tobler; +Cc: GCC, neroden

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Andreas Tobler wrote:

> Is this intended to be so?
> [andreas@pm8600 objdir]$ ./gcc/xgcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Configured with:
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4 20021217 (experimental)
>
> I miss the configured with  part?

This looks like a problem with the build changes merged from BIB.  The
configured with information in gcc -v and the gccbug script came from
TOPLEVEL_CONFIGURE_ARGUMENTS exported by the toplevel configure script,
but now the gcc directory is configured from the Makefile and the
configure arguments are not passed along.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: specs info missing on trunk?
@ 2002-12-23 15:27   ` Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2002-12-23 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Andreas Tobler, GCC, neroden

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Andreas Tobler wrote:
>

>>Is this intended to be so?
>>[andreas@pm8600 objdir]$ ./gcc/xgcc -v
>>Using built-in specs.
>>Configured with:
>>Thread model: posix
>>gcc version 3.4 20021217 (experimental)
>>
>>I miss the configured with  part?
>

> This looks like a problem with the build changes merged from BIB.  The
> configured with information in gcc -v and the gccbug script came from
> TOPLEVEL_CONFIGURE_ARGUMENTS exported by the toplevel configure script,
> but now the gcc directory is configured from the Makefile and the
> configure arguments are not passed along.

Yep.  It would be preferable if GCC could get this information from its
*own* configure arguments, but if it really wants
TOPLEVEL_CONFIGURE_ARGUMENTS, that can always be added as a make macro
and then added to the list of shell variables passed down to subconfigures.

--Nathanael

* Re: specs info missing on trunk?
@ 2002-12-23 17:39     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-12-23 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode; +Cc: Andreas Tobler, GCC, neroden

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> Yep.  It would be preferable if GCC could get this information from its
> *own* configure arguments, but if it really wants
> TOPLEVEL_CONFIGURE_ARGUMENTS, that can always be added as a make macro
> and then added to the list of shell variables passed down to subconfigures.

The point is to get what someone actually passed to configure - not
something generated with options such as --with-gcc-version-trigger (which
is a user passed them probably means they're doing something wrong).
Making the real arguments available involves saving very early in toplevel
configure as is presently done.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk