* -ax option
@ 2003-01-05  5:43 Satyavathi Malladi
From: Satyavathi Malladi @ 2003-01-05  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: gcc

Hi,
  I am trying to profile a program which has function calls to functions
in a thread library. I want to profile a particular function in the thread
library too. Could anyone let me know how I can do this.

Thanks,
Satya

* problem with -ax option
@ 2003-01-06 22:47 ` Satyavathi Malladi
From: Satyavathi Malladi @ 2003-01-06 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: gcc

I have used the -ax option to profile a program. The program makes some
library function calls. So, I recompiled the library with profiling turned
on for the library functions. A particular library function is called 3
times in my program. But the basic block, corresponding to the entry to
that function, is entered only for the first two times and not entered the
 3rd time. I ran the program several times and observed the same behavior.
The basic block corresponding to the exit of the library  function is
,however, entered. Could anyone pls help me figure out what the problem could be.

Thanks,
Satya

* Re: problem with -ax option
@ 2003-01-06 23:49   ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2003-01-06 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satyavathi Malladi; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 04:42:43PM -0600, Satyavathi Malladi wrote:

> I have used the -ax option to profile a program. The program makes some
> library function calls. So, I recompiled the library with profiling turned
> on for the library functions. A particular library function is called 3
> times in my program. But the basic block, corresponding to the entry to
> that function, is entered only for the first two times and not entered the
>  3rd time. I ran the program several times and observed the same behavior.
> The basic block corresponding to the exit of the library  function is
> ,however, entered. Could anyone pls help me figure out what the problem could be.

Profiling with -ax was broken in GCC 3.0 and was removed in GCC 3.1.
Try using -ftest-coverage -fprofile-arcs.

Janis