* Automatic reply by the debian bug tracking system spams GNATS and vice versa
       [not found] <handler.x.Q85908.10402267865251.unknown@bugs.debian.org>
@ 2002-12-18  9:01 ` Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-18  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Debian Bug Tracking System; +Cc: gcc

Sometimes people file reports in the gcc bug tracking system GNATS which
have already been reported to the Debian system. They then enter the
latter system's address address into the CC-field of the GNATS report.

Now when someone changes something at a report within GNATS, the change
message also goes to the Debian system, which answers with an automatic
receipt message. This receipt message is sometimes picked up by GNATS
automatically as a new report, in which the submitter is the Debian
system, and the Debian system also sometimes picks up the GNATS change
message as a new report.

We need to break this loop. I think it would be sufficient if the Debian
system would not send "Thanks you, we received your report" messages to
gnats, but I don't know how hard that is to change...

Regards
  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

* Re: Automatic reply by the debian bug tracking system spams GNATS and vice versa
@ 2003-01-05 18:24   ` Colin Watson
From: Colin Watson @ 2003-01-05 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Bangerth; +Cc: Debian Bug Tracking System, gcc

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 10:18:04AM -0600, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:
> Sometimes people file reports in the gcc bug tracking system GNATS which
> have already been reported to the Debian system. They then enter the
> latter system's address address into the CC-field of the GNATS report.
>
> Now when someone changes something at a report within GNATS, the change
> message also goes to the Debian system, which answers with an automatic
> receipt message. This receipt message is sometimes picked up by GNATS
> automatically as a new report, in which the submitter is the Debian
> system, and the Debian system also sometimes picks up the GNATS change
> message as a new report.

We have temporarily broken this loop by causing debbugs not to send acks
to gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, but this isn't a very satisfactory solution.
Could a GNATS hacker please get in touch so that we can discuss
something more permanent (e.g. using the Precedence: header on both
sides)?