* Breaking up enormous source files
@ 2003-02-20 13:32 Ansgar Esztermann
From: Ansgar Esztermann @ 2003-02-20 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

That project has been sitting on the web site for quite some time
now, so I thought I'd start working on it.
I have picked fold-const.c for now and intend to work my way through
the list. However, I have a few questions:

What size should I aim for in the resulting files? Is 50k OK, too
small, or still too large?

Is it OK to submit several smaller patches instead of a single large
one? E.g., when breaking up a.c into a.c, b.c, and c.c, first
preparing one patch that creates b.c and reduces the size of a.c by
roughly one third would probably decrease the likelihood of conflicts
when checking in that patch (as opposed to creating b.c and c.c all
in one go).

Which copyright dates should I give the new files? In a way, they are
new, but then again, their contents is just copied from an older
file. What about header files? Does an old function prototype in a
new file constitute a new or an old copyright?

Thanks for your patience.

Ansgar Esztermann

--
Institut fuer theoretische Physik II    | Geb. 25.32.02
Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet Duesseldorf | +49-211-8112059 (phone)

* Re: Breaking up enormous source files
@ 2003-02-20 15:24   ` Ansgar Esztermann
From: Ansgar Esztermann @ 2003-02-20 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bosscher; +Cc: gcc, law

On 20 Feb 2003, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> > I have picked fold-const.c for now and intend to work my way through
> > the list. However, I have a few questions:
>
> Be careful with fold-const.c.  Jeff Law broke out big chunks from fold()
> to smaller functions on the tree-ssa branch, but unfortunately that work
> is not on the mainline.  Having two people working on one big file in
> different branches usually means "merge trouble".

Yes, that would certainly happen.
However, I could just start with a different file, say, expr.c.

Ansgar

--

@ 2003-02-20 14:02   ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 2003-02-20 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bosscher; +Cc: Ansgar Esztermann, gcc, law

On 20-Feb-2003, Steven Bosscher <s.bosscher@student.tudelft.nl> wrote:
> > I have picked fold-const.c for now and intend to work my way through
> > the list. However, I have a few questions:
>
> Be careful with fold-const.c.  Jeff Law broke out big chunks from fold()
> to smaller functions on the tree-ssa branch, but unfortunately that work
> is not on the mainline.  Having two people working on one big file in
> different branches usually means "merge trouble".

Yes.  I suggest starting with a different file.

* Re: Breaking up enormous source files
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.44.0302201339470.16646-100000@subraumtor.thphy.uni-duesseldorf.d e>
@ 2003-02-20 13:55 ` Steven Bosscher
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2003-02-20 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ansgar Esztermann; +Cc: gcc, law

Op do 20-02-2003, om 14:09 schreef Ansgar Esztermann:
> That project has been sitting on the web site for quite some time
> now, so I thought I'd start working on it.

Cool!

> I have picked fold-const.c for now and intend to work my way through
> the list. However, I have a few questions:

Be careful with fold-const.c.  Jeff Law broke out big chunks from fold()
to smaller functions on the tree-ssa branch, but unfortunately that work
is not on the mainline.  Having two people working on one big file in
different branches usually means "merge trouble".

Jeff, could your tree-ssa patch be applied to mainline, too?

Greetz
Steven