* Doc patch testing procedure
@ 2003-05-15 16:55 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-05-15 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer

I am terribly embarrassed that my first major checkin broke bootstrap. In
particular, since I tried to follow the testing procedures, but
something's weird with them:

If I just do something like
>   mkdir bin
>   cd bin
>   ../gcc-3.4-CVS/configure
>   make info
>   make dvi
it succeeds even with the broken files I checked in. I didn't notice that
it doesn't create .info files, though, so thought everything is ok.

I later tried to trigger the error everybody was seeing, and I can do that
if I add a "make bootstrap" before the "make info". In that case, .info
files are actually generated, and I hit the same problem. Now, the testing
instructions specifically say that no bootstrap is required for doc
patches...

So the question is: is this supposed to be the way it is? If this is the
case, then we'd need to update our testing requirement page.

Sorry again for the inconveniences,
 Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: Doc patch testing procedure
@ 2003-05-15 22:19 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2003-05-15 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Bangerth; +Cc: gcc, Gerald Pfeifer

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

> I later tried to trigger the error everybody was seeing, and I can do that
> if I add a "make bootstrap" before the "make info". In that case, .info
> files are actually generated, and I hit the same problem. Now, the testing
> instructions specifically say that no bootstrap is required for doc
> patches...

This may be related to the toplevel autoconfiscation: now the
subdirectories are only configured from "make" rather than as part of the
toplevel configuration process and maybe toplevel "make info" needs the
appropriate dependencies to get subdirectories configured.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk