* Ada updates frozen
@ 2003-11-02 11:44 Arnaud Charlet
From: Arnaud Charlet @ 2003-11-02 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

People,

This is to inform you that due to major recent changes in the GCC back-end
which completely broke Ada builds (it started with ia64, and now include
at least ia32 and possibly other platforms), I am currently not in a position
to test any of our Ada changes, so I have to hold on any update on the
tree.

The changes have been (and are being) discussed at length under this and
gcc-patches lists (about XFMode and co.), so I'd expect some improvements in
this area, but according to our analysis, the recent changes break
many assumptions in a pretty fundamental way, so it won't be a matter
of simply changing a few lines of code (unless we revert the offending
XFMode changes), which is pretty bad given that we are in stage 3.

It would be particularly bad if GCC 3.4.0 had no Ada support at all, even
if not part of the release criterias, that would be a pretty major
regression IMO, in particular given all the recent efforts to bring a
much more reliable and powerful Ada compiler in the tree.

Arno

* Re: Ada updates frozen
@ 2003-11-02 18:12 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-11-02 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: charlet, jh, mark, roger, zack; +Cc: gcc

> I'm sure Zack and Jan much appreciate the Ada folks efforts to fix this
> problem themselves.  After all its the patch submitters responsibility
> to resolve major regressions caused by their patches.  At the very least,
> this should prompt them to include Ada in the list of languages they
> enable when testing changes, its even the default on many recent Linux
> distributions.

Just to let you know, we are certainly working on the (fairly major)
revision to GNAT to fix this, which is in fact a long term improvement,
but it's not clear how quickly we can get this revision completed.

* Re: Ada updates frozen
@ 2003-11-02 19:41 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2003-11-02 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zack; +Cc: gcc

    I am presently testing a patch which reverts GET_MODE_BITSIZE to its
    original meaning (i.e. GET_MODE_SIZE * BITS_PER_UNIT) and introduces
    a new macro GET_MODE_PRECISION which is used in a very few places
    (notably mode_for_size).

So you're going to rename it as mode_for_precion?

And what about the _TYPE_SIZE macros?  Will they go back to being *sizes*
or remain precisions?

* Re: Ada updates frozen
@ 2003-11-02 20:09 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2003-11-02 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zack; +Cc: gcc

    > And what about the _TYPE_SIZE macros?  Will they go back to being *sizes*
    > or remain precisions?

    They need to remain precision (and I will rename them as such)
    otherwise we cannot know which type to use for C long double on ia64
    and i386.

OK, but just so you know, it's *that* which breaks Ada currently.

* Re: Ada updates frozen
@ 2003-11-03  0:56 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2003-11-03  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zack; +Cc: gcc

    I realize this.  Do you think it will work (at least as a stopgap
    measure) for Ada to use
    GET_MODE_BITSIZE (mode_for_precision (LONG_DOUBLE_TYPE_SIZE))
    instead of bare LONG_DOUBLE_TYPE_SIZE?  After I change
    GET_MODE_BITSIZE to mean what it used to mean, that is.

In principle, yes, but it also needs to know the type sizes in a context where
it doesn't have the GCC backend available (for gnatpsta), so it's a little
harder than that.