* Re: How to reserve an Elf e_machine value
@ 2008-06-06 21:14 Stephen Andieta
From: Stephen Andieta @ 2008-06-06 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Yep, my request to registry@caldera.com just bounced, so I will live with a random number.

Thanks,

Stephen

----- Original Message ----
From: Michael Meissner <michael.meissner@amd.com>
To: Stephen Andieta <andietas@yahoo.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2008 7:44:30 AM
Subject: Re: How to reserve an Elf e_machine value

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:46:44AM -0700, Stephen Andieta wrote:

> I am working on a compiler kit for an in-house processor that uses Elf as
> object file format. Since this compiler will be released to external
> customers, I need to reserve an 'official' e_machine value for this
> processor. Somehow I am unable to find out how to reserve such a value. How
> should I do this?
>    Thanks,   Stephen.

This is a binutils problem, not a GCC.

The problem is the company that assigns the official numbers (SCO) is rapidily
spinning out of control, and may not be responsive any more.  When I registered
EM_MEP in 2003, the address used was registry@caldera.com.

If you can't get an official number, there is this comment in elf/common.h:

/* If it is necessary to assign new unofficial EM_* values, please pick large
   random numbers (0x8523, 0xa7f2, etc.) to minimize the chances of collision
   with official or non-GNU unofficial values.

   NOTE: Do not just increment the most recent number by one.
   Somebody else somewhere will do exactly the same thing, and you
   will have a collision.  Instead, pick a random number.

   Normally, each entity or maintainer responsible for a machine with an
   unofficial e_machine number should eventually ask registry@caldera.com for
   an officially blessed number to be added to the list above.    */

--
Michael Meissner, AMD
90 Central Street, MS 83-29, Boxborough, MA, 01719, USA

* Re: How to reserve an Elf e_machine value
@ 2008-06-06 22:02 ` Cary Coutant
From: Cary Coutant @ 2008-06-06 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Andieta; +Cc: gcc

Let me second H.J.'s suggestion to post your request at

http://groups.google.com/group/generic-abi

In the absence of any SCO presence, that group now serves as the
closest thing we have to a standards forum for ELF and the gABI.

-cary

* Re: How to reserve an Elf e_machine value
@ 2008-06-06 23:00 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2008-06-06 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Andieta; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Stephen Andieta wrote:

> Yep, my request to registry@caldera.com just bounced, so I will live
> with a random number.

caldera.com doesn't have an MX record whereas sco.com does, so maybe it's
a problem with that old domain.  Try Dave Prosser <dfp@sco.com> directly -
he allocated the last e_machine value we registered in Jan 2007, and was
still at SCO (posting to the WG14 reflector from that address) as of Feb
2008.

Unfortunately the public table at
<http://www.sco.com/developers/gabi/latest/ch4.eheader.html> is very out
of date - it goes up to 110 and the last value we got was 165 - so someone
else can't just take over where SCO left off without SCO internal
information, or guessing and leaving a large gap and hoping there isn't
too much duplication.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: How to reserve an Elf e_machine value
@ 2008-06-04 14:45 ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2008-06-04 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Andieta; +Cc: gcc

@ 2008-06-03 15:50 ` H.J. Lu