From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com>
To: Renato Golin <renato.golin@linaro.org>
Cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: LLVM collaboration?
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 23:30:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Renato Golin wrote:

> For a long time already I've been hearing on the LLVM list people
> saying: "oh, ld should not accept this deprecated instruction, but we
> can't change that", "that would be a good idea, but we need to talk to
> the GCC guys first", and to be honest, nobody ever does.

I think there are other closely related issues, as GCC people try to work
around issues with glibc, or vice versa, rather than coordinating what
might be the best solution involving changes to both components, as people
in the glibc context complain about some Linux kernel decision but have
difficulty getting any conclusion in conjunction with Linux kernel people
about the right way forward (or, historically, have difficulty getting
agreement there is a problem at all - the Linux kernel community has
tended to have less interest in supporting the details of standards than
the people now trying to do things in GCC and glibc), as Linux kernel
people complain about any compiler that optimizes C as a high-level
language in ways conflicting with its use as something more like a
portable assembler for kernel code, and as people from the various
communities complain about issues with underlying standards such as ISO C
and POSIX but rather less reliably engage with the standards process to
solve those issues.

Maybe the compiler context is sufficiently separate from the others
mentioned that there should be multiple collaboration routes for
(compilers), (libraries / kernel), ... - but people need to be aware that
just because something is being discussed in a compiler context doesn't
mean that a C language extension is the right solution; it's possible
something involving both language and library elements is right, it's
possible collaboration with the standards process is right at an early
stage.

(The libraries / kernel collaboration venue exists - the linux-api list,
which was meant to be for anything about the kernel/userspace interface.
Unfortunately, it's rarely used - most relevant kernel discussion doesn't
go there - and I don't have time to follow linux-kernel.  We have recently
seen several feature requests from the Linux kernel side reported to GCC
Bugzilla, which is good - at least if there are people on the GCC side
working on getting such things of use to the kernel implemented in a
suitably clean way that works for what the kernel wants.)

> 2. There are decisions that NEED to be shared.
>
> In the past, GCC implemented a lot of extensions because the standards
> weren't good enough. This has changed, but the fact that there will
> always be things that don't belong on any other standard, and are very
> specific to the toolchain inner workings, hasn't.

There are also lots of things where either (a) it would make sense to get
something in a standard - it can be defined sensibly at the level ISO C /
C++ deals with, or (b) the standard exists, but what gets implemented
ignores the standard.  Some of this may be because economic incentives
seem to get things done one way rather than another way that would
ultimately be better for users of the languages.

To expand on (a): for a recent GCC patch there was a use for having
popcount on the host, and I noted
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2014-02/msg00305.html> how that's one
of many integer manipulation operations lacking any form of standard C
bindings.  Sometimes for these things we do at least have
target-independent GCC extensions - but sometimes just target-specific
ones, with multiple targets having built-in functions for similar things,
nominally mapping to particular instructions, when it would be better to
have a standard C binding for a given operation.

To expand on (b): consider the recent AVX512 GCC patches.  As is typical
for patches enabling support for new instruction set features, they added
a large pile of intrinsics (intrinsic headers, mapping to built-in
functions).  The intrinsics implement a standard of sorts - shared with
Intel's compiler, at least.  But are they really the right approach in all
cases?  The features of AVX512 include, in particular, floating-point
operations with rounding modes embedded in the instruction (in support of
IEEE 754-2008 saying language standards should support a way to apply
rounding modes to particular blocks, not just dynamic rounding modes).

There's a proposed specification for C bindings to such a feature - draft
TS 18661-1 (WG14 N1778; JTC1 ballot ends 2014-03-05, so may well be
published later this year).  There was some discussion of this starting
with <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-12/msg00129.html> (discussion
continued into Jan 2013), which I presume was motivated by the AVX512
feature, but in the end the traditional intrinsics were the approach taken
for supporting this feature, not anything that would allow
architecture-independent source code to be written.  (The AVX512 feature
combines constant rounding modes with disabling exceptions, which isn't
ideal, but could still be used for FENV_ROUND with -fno-trapping-math.)

Now, implementation and standards can go in either order.  When you start
with the implementation, even with a couple of implementations working
together, there's a risk of some cases ending up as just what the
implementation accidentally does.  When you start with a specification,
there's a risk of other corner cases not being considered if they are only
apparent when you try to implement something - and also that the result of
a design-by-committee is too removed from user requirements, or otherwise
impractical.  So it can be helpful to have feedback as features are
implemented during standardization - but if the features go in mainline of
the relevant tool / library, then you have compatibility issues when the
standard changes but people were using earlier versions.  So there isn't
one clear right answer there.

It can also sometimes be useful to have multiple implementation approaches
providing input for a standards committee later trying to adopt the best
from both (consider the current CPLEX work, trying to draw on both OpenMP
and Cilkplus).  So if you do coordinate on some feature, that doesn't mean
you need to reach agreed conclusions - it may be perfectly reasonable for
different preferences to arise in different communities, resulting in
different features for the same purpose being implemented (hopefully not
actually using the same syntax for different incompatible things), so user
experience can help determine what a future standard solution might look
like.

As for the economic incentives point: given a new CPU feature, there's an
obvious incentive for the CPU company to make the feature available to
their users from C.  Doing rather more work to make such a language /
library feature available on all architectures - but optimized on theirs
to take advantage of the CPU feature - may be less attractive.  But it's
probably better long-term for the C users for their programs to be more
portable, and if there's a standard involved that can mean portability
among implementations as well as among processor architectures.

So: we could discuss what some feature in C should look like, whether as a
pure extension, or something to end up as a standards proposal; having
more people looking at the feature earlier might well help spot potential
issues.  But until someone actually tries implementing it and people start
using it, it's quite likely the discussion could go off in directions that
are not particularly helpful.  And if only one tool implements it,
feedback from the other may well be of limited value.

I think an important question then is how to get more of the larger pieces
of work done where there aren't the immediate incentives.  It would be
useful to get something (say integer manipulation) into ISO C, but there's
a lot of work and ad hoc extensions already exist in compilers.  I'd like
to get more of the floating-point features (both C99/C11 Annex F/G, and
the new draft IEEE 754-2008 bindings) implemented in GCC and glibc (and
would be doubtful about integrating the new bindings in a future version
of the C standard without some implementation experience) - again, it's a
lot of work, both in time and in terms of the range of expertise required
that would probably need multiple people doing different bits.  I'd like
more future ISO C features implemented as they enter the draft standard
rather than afterwards - again, significant work to be done at particular
times, along with compatibility risks.

One thing that may limit collaboration taking place (at present, and in
future) is simply the time involved to keep on top of the various
discussions.  Many, perhaps most, people can barely keep up with the
discussions for the projects they are actively involved in.  Keeping up
with GCC, glibc, ISO C, ..., skimming things for POSIX, Linux kernel,
binutils, GDB, ... takes up a lot of my time, even without implementing
things for the various projects (predominantly glibc over the past couple
of years) and other responsibilities.  I'd like to do more in various of
these areas, to get missing standard / proposed standard features
implemented in GCC and glibc, to ensure proposed standards and extensions
are high quality, to get the standards to better address areas in which
they are weak.  But there are limits to both total time available and time
I can actually justify spending on these things.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com