From: "Deepak B. Nayak" <deepakbn@csa.iisc.ernet.in>
To: Jim Wilson <wilson@redhat.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: running gcc  testcases
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:59:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 11 Oct 2002, Jim Wilson wrote:

> There isn't enough info here to understand what your problem is.  Exact
> commands and exact output from those commands would help.  For instance,
> it isn't clear what directory you typed make in.

 dir is srcdir/objdir

>  It isn't clear which
> testcases you are trying to run.  It isn't clear what command you used to
> run those testcases.

we just executed "make" in objdir

 It isn't clear what errors you are getting from those
> commands.  Etc.

we did not get any errors..problem was first time when we executed "make"
in objdir,it executed all the testcases(atleast it executed our pass many
times..).but then we added few more printf's in our code for clear
debugging then "make" did not run the testcases.As u said we were wrong in
running only "make" in objdir

> No testcases are run when you type make.  Testcase are run only if you type
> make check, and then will be run everytime you type make check.

>  The dejagnu
> package is required to run the testsuite.

we did not down load anyother package except gcc-3.0.tar.gz.we did not
download anyother package becos in install page it was given that if u
have downloaded full package (not only core compiler..)then no need to
download test cases

> I am guessing that you somehow
> confused a library build with a testsuite run.  The library files won't be
> rebuilt when the compiler changes.  You can force library files to be rebuilt
> by deleting them.

now one more problem is..
 now we r using "make check" in objdir.....
when we run this second time and later..this does not consider the
changes(added printf's in the code..)but execute few testcases not as many
as in first time....

after being frustrated for some time  but we have found a solution which
is not a logical one...
solution is....everytime time we make some changes to source code,then we
make simple changes to Makefile.in and run "make" in objdir..

This works fine..it executes all testcases considering all new changes...
may be this is very illogical..so please give us some solution to this
problem...

regards

deepak