* NEWS file
@ 2001-06-13 10:57 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-06-13 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsm28; +Cc: gcc

Joseph --

  In PR3161, you suggest only generating NEWS for the actual release.
I think we should generate it for every prerelease -- partly to test
that gennews is doing what it should.  (The fewer things different
between prereleases and actual releases the better.)

  Also, I am planning to remove this file from CVS, since it is
now a generated file.

  Does any of that sound wrong to you?

* Re: NEWS file
@ 2001-06-13 11:03 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-06-13 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>   In PR3161, you suggest only generating NEWS for the actual release.
> I think we should generate it for every prerelease -- partly to test
> that gennews is doing what it should.  (The fewer things different
> between prereleases and actual releases the better.)
>
>   Also, I am planning to remove this file from CVS, since it is
> now a generated file.
>
>   Does any of that sound wrong to you?

Generating NEWS is only necessary for releases - but it is harmless for
prereleases (unlike marking the ChangeLogs or changing the version.c files
to say "release").

It would indeed probably now make sense to remove NEWS from CVS.  In that
case, I'd suggest removing gcc/f/BUGS and gcc/f/NEWS from CVS as well (and
then also building them in the release script - "make f77.rebuilt" in
objdir/gcc should do that).

The contents of cp/NEWS for a release have previously been exactly
duplicated in c++features.html.  If we do that - rather than changing to
some other arrangement for C++ news - then cp/NEWS will still need to have
"*** Changes since GCC 2.95" changed to "*** Changes in GCC 3.0" (with
"*** Changes since GCC 3.0" added on mainline).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk