* Tarball / RPM conflict - Newbie
@ 1999-03-20  8:13 James Green
       [not found] ` < X1PoYDA1j882EwhD@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk >
From: James Green @ 1999-03-20  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi there,

I'm a newbie trying to get to grips with my RedHat 5.2 installation more
effectively. As I eventually want to know how properly use Unix/Linux in
the future, I am compiling software rather than using RPM files.

Unfortunately, as GNOME requires egcs, I d/led it without knowing that
it was already installed (albeit an older vers), compiled and installed
it. The problem is that the GNOME element which requires egcs doesn't
see it during configure, but my system can see it from the commend line.
Both GCC and egcs return the same version number.

There must be documentation for people with conflicting installations of
RPM and tarballs, but I cannot find any. I also can't help but feel this
is an a FAQ *somewhere*.

Could anyone help me out, or at least point me at the relevant docs?
I've searched the list archives without result.

Many tia,
--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk

* RE: OFFTOPIC Tarball / RPM conflict - Newbie
       [not found] ` < X1PoYDA1j882EwhD@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk >
@ 1999-03-20  9:29   ` David B. Rees
       [not found]     ` < XFMail.990320092925.dbr@spoke.nols.com >
From: David B. Rees @ 1999-03-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Green; +Cc: egcs

When installing tarballs on a RedHat system, it is best to install them under
/usr/local, where they won't interfere with RPMS, which are never unstalled
under there.  If you install egcs under /usr/local (the default, btw), it is
simple enough to invoke the wanted egcs by prepending your path with
/usr/local/bin.  Then the good egcs will be called when necessary.

-Dave

@ 1999-03-20 17:33       ` F. Heitkamp
From: F. Heitkamp @ 1999-03-20 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbr; +Cc: linux, egcs

   Sender: owner-egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
   Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:29:25 -0800 (PST)
   Sender: dbr@spoke.nols.com
   From: "David B. Rees" <dbr@spoke.nols.com>
   Cc: egcs@egcs.cygnus.com

   When installing tarballs on a RedHat system, it is best to install them under
   /usr/local, where they won't interfere with RPMS, which are never unstalled
   under there.  If you install egcs under /usr/local (the default, btw), it is
   simple enough to invoke the wanted egcs by prepending your path with
   /usr/local/bin.  Then the good egcs will be called when necessary.

(This may be a little much for a newbie, but I  thought I'd toss my two
cents.)

I'm not sure that fixes everything. There are still some other problems
to contend with IMHO.  Sometimes you need to have a link to the C pre-
processor in /lib, and a link to gcc-lib in /usr/lib.  Also if you are
using g++ you should have a link to g++ headers in /usr/include.  If you
are not careful it's easy to end up using bits and pieces of different
compilers.  That's why I usually put new versions of egcs in there own
directory like /usr/egcs-1.1.2/ and  establish the various links to the
executables in  /usr/bin.  An additional benefit is if you find that a
particular version does not seem to work well you can switch to another
one.  Providing you didn't delete the master directory of course.

I really seems to depend on what you happen to compile.  If it's a
relatively simple program just needing gcc the /usr/local installation
and path setting may work fine.

This opinion is from years of Linux experience screwing things up ;)

YMMV

Fred

@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` James Green
From: James Green @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)