* Tarball / RPM conflict - Newbie
@ 1999-03-20  8:13 James Green
       [not found] ` < X1PoYDA1j882EwhD@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk >
From: James Green @ 1999-03-20  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi there,

I'm a newbie trying to get to grips with my RedHat 5.2 installation more
effectively. As I eventually want to know how properly use Unix/Linux in
the future, I am compiling software rather than using RPM files.

Unfortunately, as GNOME requires egcs, I d/led it without knowing that
it was already installed (albeit an older vers), compiled and installed
it. The problem is that the GNOME element which requires egcs doesn't
see it during configure, but my system can see it from the commend line.
Both GCC and egcs return the same version number.

There must be documentation for people with conflicting installations of
RPM and tarballs, but I cannot find any. I also can't help but feel this
is an a FAQ *somewhere*.

Could anyone help me out, or at least point me at the relevant docs?
I've searched the list archives without result.

Many tia,
--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk