From: Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org>
To: Philip Herron <philip.herron@embecosm.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GCC Rust git branch
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 20:29:44 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Philip,

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 02:24:13PM +0100, Philip Herron wrote:
> As some of you might know, I have been working on GCC Rust over on
> GitHub https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs. As the project is moving
> forward and enforcing GCC copyright assignments for contributors, I
> would like to create a branch on the GCC git repo to show the intention
> to be upstream with GCC someday.
> [...]
> The commit message here is poorly formatted. To move forward, should I
> rebase the tree to fix this commit and force push to rewrite the
> history? Or is there a way to relax the rule for a new branch? Any
> advice would be welcome.

As Joseph said you could create a developement branch for hacking on
the GCC Rust Frontend and relax the commit push rules for that one:
https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html#devbranches

Is the intention to eventually make this branch the main development
branch? Or will it just be a mirror of the main github repo/branch?

I assume it will be some months (years?) before this frontend will be
merge into the main gcc git repo. I wonder if it makes sense to create
a separate repo for the gcc rust frontend so you can use your own
rules for development. Currently you are using some github services,
like bors, that we might want to replicate. That might require some
special git branches for the automation. We can then experiment with
having a gccrs.git repo on gcc.gnu.org to see if such services can be
replicated on our own server. And the gcc rust community might show
other gcc developers whether and how that helps development.

It would also be great if we could somehow have "normal" gcc bugzilla
tickets instead of these github issue and pr numbers (which won't make
sense anymore once the frontend is merged).

> Separately, some contributors have expressed interest in maintaining the
> GCC style communications of using a mailing list and irc. Is it
> reasonable for this project to get a rust@gcc.gnu.org?

Personally I would love to have a normal mailinglist, but I am
personally somewhat (unrationally?) allergic to github and
web-chat-systems. If we are trying to make this new frontend a bit
more accessible to traditional gcc hackers, could we also have a
normal irc channel (there is #gcc on irc.oftc.net). It would be great
to also have a #gccrust channel on oftc.

Cheers,

Mark