From: Jeff Law <jeffreyalaw@gmail.com>
To: Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com>,
	Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@redhat.com>
	Andrew MacLeod <amacleod@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: More aggressive threading causing loop-interchange-9.c regression
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:59:52 -0600	[thread overview]

On 9/9/2021 2:58 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 10:36 AM Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's indeed unfortunate.

>>> Indeed.  But I understand the backwards threader does not (only) do FSM
>>> threading now.
>> If it does, it was not part of my rewrite.  I was careful to not touch
>> anything dealing with either path profitability or low-level path
>> registering.
>>
>> The path registering is in back_threader_registry::register_path().  We
>> only use EDGE_FSM_THREADs and then a final EDGE_NO_COPY.  ISTM that
>> those are only EDGE_FSM_THREADs??
> Well, if the backwards threader classifies everything as FSM that's probably
> inaccurate since only threads through the loop latch are "FSM".  There is
> the comment
FSM is used all over the place, but it really just applies to threading
through the latch and through an indirect jump/switch. Many of the
places that say FSM should probably just say "backwards" or something
similar.

>    /* If this path does not thread through the loop latch, then we are
>       using the FSM threader to find old style jump threads.  This
>       is good, except the FSM threader does not re-use an existing
>       threading path to reduce code duplication.
>
>       So for that case, drastically reduce the number of statements
>       we are allowed to copy.  */
>
> so these cases should use the "old style" validity/costing metrics and thus
> classify threading opportunities in a different way?
It's not that simple.  The backwards threader uses a different block
copier and CFG update mechanism that does not support commonizing
threads from multiple paths to the same target.  So each jump thread
ends up with a copy of the path which can lead to excessive code bloat.

THe forward threader knows how to commonize those paths so cut down on
the duplicates and thus can accept larger blocks without having such a
negative impact on code size.

> I think today "backwards" vs, "forwards" only refers to the way we find
> threading opportunities.
Correct.

jeff